Wednesday 4 October 2017

Flug disturbed a bear (Aug. 16)



DIARY

Thoughts on a summer day

                        by Robert LaFrance

            A certain individual in this house has a clock radio that she uses as an alarm. One recent morning I awoke to the ‘music’ of an acid rock punk heavy metal grunge band and almost went through the ceiling. Accordingly, I have now spoken to various members of Parliament and the mayor of Kincardine in an attempt to have a new law struck. No more of that in the morning! On the other hand, it did get me out of bed.
            Some things in life are inevitable, like the pronunciation of the word ‘inevitable’ when I was a young feller, I was a great reader, but many of the words I had never heard pronounced, correctly or otherwise. The teacher got me to read a passage from a textbook and I pronounced the word ‘in-eVET-able’. She laughed and embarrassed me, because it’s supposed to be pronounced ‘in-EVitable’. Oh, the pain of growing up.
            Speaking of inevitable, some things in life are just that, like Murphy’s Law. In this case though, I refer to someone, anyone, who goes by the initials C.D. They have to be called ‘Seedy’, no matter how many people they beat up for doing just that. Also, if one’s name is Stanley, he WILL be called ‘Stan the Man’. The nicknames of many Winstons is ‘Wink’.
            Some things in life are not to be believed. Everywhere we look, there is astronaut Chris Hadfield playing his guitar and singing, or appearing in a garden show in Ernfold, Saskatchewan. He’s has had quite a career in space and I hope it’s made him a billion dollars afterward. It must have been quite something to look out the window (porthole?) of his spacecraft and down at the earth. That’s why it surprised me (who am rarely surprised) when I found out last week that Chris Hadfield, who received his pilot’s licence at age fifteen, is afraid of heights.
            In last week’s column I mentioned that ordinary tap water is every bit as good as bottled water, and while this is true in almost all cases (except northeastern Gambia) there are cases when tap water is less than alluring. On the day I sent that column in to this newspaper, I went uptown and heard two stories in ten minutes from people whose tap water wasn’t fit for Joseph Stalin. In both cases their tap water was a reddish brown colour. So, okay, in those two cases bottled water is better, but not in everyone else’s homes. No wait, I had better check that out.
            NEWS FLASH! Another possible error. Excuse me for reporting earlier in this column that astronaut Chris Hadfield was afraid of heights. I had some incorrect information there. It appears that it came from Russia and the U.S. White House, who wouldn’t know the truth if it landed Splat! on their tailfeathers. I do apologize to the readers and to Chris who has friends in high places and visits them often.
            Watching a CNN commentary show last evening, I heard one guest refer to a Donald Trump statement as “a bald-faced assertion that runs contrary to the facts”. Erin Burnett, a wonderful interviewer, asked if that wouldn’t be better “characterized” as a lie; the guest, a Washington Post reporter whose name I can’t remember, said: “You got that right, Erin.” Ironically, the thing about Donald Trump is not that he’s a liar, but that he doesn’t have a clue what he’s talking about. Ever.
            My friend Flug’s nephew Grover was visiting the big guy last week and the two spent the whole week fishing up around Trout Brook in the Birch Ridge area where I used to live. They also spent some time trying to drag huge trout – at least that was the story – out of Odellac Stream, and yes I know the name has about five official spellings. Maggie’s Falls was also called Robinson Falls among other thing, especially the day I slipped and slid about a hundred feet downstream on some mighty hard rocks.
            The point I’m getting to is that Flug and Grover have some bear spray to thank for their arriving back home in one piece. Flug always carries two cans of anti-bear spray when he goes into the woods (while at the same time NOT carrying an EpiPen for his hornet allergy). As they stepped over a log they disturbed a large bear who must have been watching Coronation Street and you know what those viewers are like. The bear spray slowed down the bear that Grover swore was a brown bear even though only black bears are found in New Brunswick. Good thing I didn’t call him a liar, because the next day a ranger told me that some black bears are brown in colour. Go figure.
                                  -end-

No comments: