Wednesday 4 October 2017

I'm happy to beer (Aug. 30)



DIARY

Larry needs a lift after his operation

                        by Robert LaFrance

            Looking at the calendar, I am truly staggered and it is not because of alcohol or drugs.
            It’s the end of August, for crying out loud! And crying out loud is what I did all last winter as I waited (im)patiently for Spring to arrive. Now here we are, on the cusp of September. As Beatrix Potter wrote in all those kids’ books, I think I shall go distracted.
            In spite of that horrific news, we must move on with our careers. Donald Trump aside (what a pleasant thought!), there are other things going on in the world. School is about to start on its fall season and I can see and hear the sassy smirks, grinning guffaws and giggles, the chortling and chuckling of long-suffering parents who have been at their wits’ ends trying to entertain the little darlings.
            “In loco parentis” is a Latin phrase meaning ‘in place of the parents’ which is what teachers are expected to be, and after school starts THEIR teeth will be getting ground down to match those of the parents who took their little gangsters to everything from the Grafton Marble Championships to the Lerwick Canoe Races – anything to keep the little brutes quiet.
            NOTE: Since I brought up three little brats, I am qualified to comment.
                                                **********************
            Other comments on things that have already happened this short summer:
            About ten days ago I was driving along Kintore Road in Lower Kintore when I met a tractor-trailer – almost met it, because I pulled WAY off the road. The driver apparently thought he was on the Indiannapolis Speedway. The logging trailer was empty and actually bouncing when he passed me. Not sure what the hurry was, but the rocks were flying.
            Listening to an MPBN radio program called ‘Living on Earth’, I heard an interviewer welcoming a chap from the midwestern U.S.A. The chap answered “Happy to beer”. I am always interested in accents and this was a dandy. “Happy to be here,” was what he said, but it had the effect of making me pay attention and walk to the fridge. By the way, they were talking about elephant tusks. That may be important.
            Electronic devices are everywhere. Smartphones here and there; and people keep saying: “There’s an app for that.” What they mean of course is that there is an application for a certain action. Just download from the Internet a little icon for The Weather Channel and when you want to know the forecast for Saskatoon, just tap it. However some people, especially in restaurants, keep talking to their smartphones and pressing their apps. Usually what comes to my mind is the sentence: “There’s a slap for that.”
            Speaking of The Weather Channel, quite a few people (men) I know have suggested that the women on that network had been chosen for their appearance (they all look like models) but as a former weather service guy, I can tell you that they really do a good job of presenting the weather to an ignorant public. I was a TV weather forecaster – filling in for someone competent – in Inuvik for one week back in the 1970s and it’s a hard job.
            My friend Flug’s cousin Larry just emerged the hospital yesterday and we’re all glad to see him back. He had had a hernia operation. What caused this condition was his carrying around so many keys. Now he keeps them in a ‘man-purse’ around his waist. Down at the club last evening he showed us all the keys he used to carry around in his pocket. Two GMC pickup keys, two freezer keys, his Toyota car keys, seven unidentified keys, probably from previously owned vehicles but he doesn’t dare throw them away, a key to the church, to his dog’s kennel fence, to various chests, etc. etc. We asked why he didn’t leave some keys home under an ashtray or something; he said that if he did that he’d need it immediately. Just then a TV show on the club’s big screen announced that singer Alicia Keys was about to perform. Larry turned pale and dashed out, shouting over his shoulder: “No more!”
            Last evening when I was driving home from town a vehicle was following me very closely all the way, with the added bonus that the driver kept on his high beams. When we met a vehicle, he dimmed his headlights, but as soon as that vehicle was by he put the high beams back on so they filled my rear-view mirrors. I slowed down several times so he would pass, but he wouldn’t until I put on my left signal light to turn into my road. Then he zoomed by. Is there a button on some drivers’ seats that turn drivers  stupid? By the way, the pickup looked a lot like Larry’s. I hope he picks up an anvil.
                              -end-

No comments: