Saturday 21 October 2017

Quebec nixed the Energy East pipeline (Oct. 18)



DIARY

Rowena now has a yellow line

                        by Robert LaFrance

            Talk about some mealy-mouthed explanations for the cancellation of the Energy East pipeline!
            One news organization said it was because the National Energy Board had tightened its environmental regulations and made it uneconomical for the Trans Canada Pipeline; another said it was because of two new pipelines, one going into the U.S. and one going to Burnaby, BC, so Energy East wasn’t needed.
            There was a third reason, carefully unmentioned. Quebec didn’t want it, and no federal political party will go to the washroom if Quebec says don’t do it. And Quebec is not going to do ANYTHING that benefits Canada east of Cabano and Matapedia.
            Moving on to a more cheerful subject, I have just had a report that the people of Rowena are giddy with joy at the recent change to their infrastructure and, I might add, that change once again illustrates the power of the press.
            Specifically, the recent work involves a change that I have mentioned in this column at least twice over the years: Rowena now has, according to what was reported to me, a brand new yellow line down the centre of Highway 390.
            It all goes to show that when I speak, government listens. It was only three years ago when I first suggested that Rowena’s fine citizens (wish I could say that about my crowd) need and deserve a yellow line on their road.
            It reminds me of the days when the estimable Bernard Lord was Premier of our Picture Province. We couldn’t get a pail full of chipseal put on our road no matter how often I whined. I thought all the time that it was because someone thought I and my neighbours were on the wrong side of politics (I am not a member of any political party), but it turned out that those who made the decisions merely wanted to use the money for more important things, like fact-finding trips to St. Lucia in February.
            St. Lucia does have a lot of facts, to be sure, especially when it’s –31ºC here.
                                                ***********************
            Referring to the climate and weather in country of India, the year 2017 has produced a great ‘Indian Summer’. Of course by the time that this column appears in print, it will be –31º with two feet of snow on the ground, but right at the moment it is a great fall.
            Even the rain we received yesterday wasn’t the downpour with wind that usually arrives the minute the maple trees turn to their brightest colours. I realize that sometime in the next few weeks the leaves will all fall down, but I’ve been busy taking photos of the red ones we have now.
            I even picked a raspberry this week, but that’s not a record for here. Back about fifteen years ago I had a second crop of raspberries and have the photo to prove it. I took that day’s copy of the Telegraph-Journal out to the berry patch and got a passer-by to put down her rolling pin long enough to take a few ‘snapshots’ as they used to be called. She wanted me to also take a photo of her, but I said that my digital camera was out of film.
            Still talking about modern technology, I have sent several emails, without reply, to Toyota Canada with whom I have a severe bone to pick.
            Their first letter in return was from a Japanese guy named Sean O’Reilly who wrote, among other things, that if I wanted to place a formal complaint with the company I should “talk English you muttonhead!” which I felt was a little rough. He had no idea or inkling what the phrase “a bone to pick” meant.
            He had sent his toll-free number, so I immediately (after lunch) called him back. I told him that I had ‘an issue’ with the colours of his Corolla models, notably the red ones. “How *&^%$*&* many red Toyota Corollas did you let loose in Canada in 2014?” I queried. “Two days ago I came out of Clarks’ grocery store in Perth-Andover and, weighed down by whole wheat flour, pineapple juice and toothpicks, I opened the door of what I thought was my red Corolla and put in those staples.” (Yes, I had staples too.)
            “Lo and behold,” I continued, “THAT red Toyota belonged to a farmer from Four Falls, so I moved to the next one. An Anabaptist usher was actually sitting in that car when I put in my groceries. In despair, I searched for my own car, seeing 43 red Toyota Corollas, and then realized I had brought my grey Yaris to town instead of the Corolla. I beg of you, help!”
            He didn’t help, beyond offering to paint my Corolla for a mere $4000. Like Sampson when he first gazed on Delilah, I was tempted, but finally declined. My next vehicle will be a HumVee.
                                           -end-

No comments: