Saturday 21 October 2017

An encounter with a bear (Oct. 11)


DIARY

Trump equals Hurricane Mouth

                        by Robert LaFrance

            Since I have an orchard of five or six dozen apple trees and three pear trees, I am very careful when I walk among those trees. Careful about what I step in (left by bears) and careful about what wants to chew on me (also bears).
            Yesterday about 7:00 pm – when the bears usually come out – I took a walk out that way. I was armed with my walking stick (a pool cue) and two cans of bear spray, just in case.
            During my 20-minute walk, I encountered no ‘animal of interest’ and my boots were still clean. Back at the house, I put the two cans of bear spray on my shed steps and leaned the pool cue up against the shed before going to my garden to get a couple of ripe tomatoes for munching purposes. After I picked them, I started walking back to the house and was taken aback by what was dead ahead, but not dead.
            A HUGE bear was walking on all fours and looking right at me as if I had been the one who had shot his grandmother in 2009. Then, getting ready to charge, he stood up. I moved over to my right until I stood behind the compost pile. At least Mister Bruno would have to get his feet dirty before he ripped me to shreds.
            Then, in a move that the ancient playwrights used to call a ‘deus ex machina’ (magic solution) out from the porch ran my killer corgi Klingon II, barking and snarling like mad. Confused at all that firepower coming at him, sort of, from two directions, Bruno ran toward Manse Hill Road. I looked at Klingon and she looked at me. I hollered after the bear: “And don’t come back!”
                                                ***********************
            As much as I want to avoid talking about Donald Trump, I am finding I have to anyway. He went to Puerto Rico two weeks after Hurricane Maria Flattened it – and I mean FLATTENED it – and told the people that they were sure using up a lot of the U.S.A. budget and, as if that weren’t insulting enough, compared their hurricane to Hurricane Katrina that devastated Louisiana and other places in 2005. “That was a real catashtrophe,” he told the people of Puerto Rico and the world, “because Katrina killed thousands.”
            Still in the U.S.A. (technically speaking, Puerto Rico isn’t part of it) as I write these words, the massacre in Las Vegas is only a day old, but I am willing to make a bet that the chap who did all that shooting will not be called ‘a terrorist’ because he’s white.
            Prediction: No gun control will come of this although the guy had a total of 47 weapons in three locations, killed 59, and wounded 527.
                                                **********************
            Folks around the Scotch Colony, Kilburn and Jawbone Mountain area will be missing Richard Elliott whom we would see walking just about every day. He carried one or two plastic bags to pick up returnable bottles and cans and wasn’t shy about also picking up recyclable things like beer cases and coffee cups that people threw out their vehicle windows. He kept the place clean.
            Although I had seen him many times along the road and knew his name, I had never met him until Garth Farquhar of Upper Kintore suggested I interview Richard about all the walking he was doing. So in July I ventured to his home to talk. I was astonished to hear that walking five to ten kilometres a day was about usual. Although suffering from terminal cancer, he got up every day about 5:00 am and started walking.
            I get tired walking from my fridge to my living room chair.
            On September 29 Richard died and I want him to know, wherever he is, that I think about him every time I drive to Muniac or Kintore. I was glad I had written that story in July when the Scotch Colony History Committee gave him a cheque for $150 and a certificate of thanks for all his clean-up activities over the years. I hope the picking is good where he is.
                                                **********************      
            People often ask me about my stay in the Northwest Territories when I was a weather man for my country. I often mention two stories, each involving Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau. Our staff joked that we had higher security clearances than the prime minister, since he’d travelled in so-called Red China and the USSR. And there was the time that one of my colleagues pointed a hunting rifle at Trudeau – and lived.
            This colleague, whom we’ll call Tom, had been stationed in Churchill, Manitoba, when a government jet landed on the runway and taxi-ed to the far end. Tom, working in the tower, wanted to find out who was on the plane and looked through the scope at the group on the runway.
            Shaken because he had just pointed a firearm at the prime minister, Tom quickly put down the rifle; ten seconds later two heavily armed Mounties came into the tower. No word on the amount of Delsey needed by Tom and the others.
                                   -end-

No comments: