Wednesday 4 October 2017

Fixing Route 105 - finally (Aug. 23)



DIARY

How to get rid of an unwanted guitar

                        by Robert LaFrance

            We all know about the 2008 debacle when a dude named Dave Carroll had his guitar broken during a United airlines flight. His song “United Breaks Guitars” was a big hit, mainly because the airlines wouldn’t do anything to replace his guitar. Public relations geniuses.
            Then in April of this year, United Airlines dragged a passenger off an overbooked flight to the delight of YouTube viewers. The man had a black eye and of course sued the airline. You’d wonder if UA even has a public relations department.
            But that’s neither here nor there. My point is (or are) guitars, not airlines. A Fredericton performer named Mike Bravener had his Epiphone AJ-200 guitar stolen several years ago and, against all odds, had it returned to him after an unidentified man saw it in a pawn shop and recognized it from social media posts.
            You might say that, in each of those cases, it was a happy ending, but now we come to my case.
            For years I have had an old guitar I have been trying to get rid of. I don’t know anything about guitars, but inside is the name Martin D-28 and somebody named Roy or Ray Acuff has autographed it.
            I left that guitar in a public washroom in Cabano, Quebec, but an guy came rushing out to my car with the guitar; I laid it behind a bulldozer’s laig on a construction site, but an old lady returned it and insisted on a reward, then said she used to play with the Tommy Dorsey Band; I left it in a car in the hot sun and assumed the guitar would be melted when I came out from the grocery store. It sounded even better than it had.
            For months I tried to get rid of that old guitar and then my friend Flug suggested: “Why not take a United Airlines flight?” And so I did. I took the noon flight in an Airbus A320 from Minto to Moncton and when I got to Moncton my guitar and case resembled, more than anything else, a giant pancake. Would I ever get compensation for my grievous loss?
            Why, yes I did. Before the plane’s wheels stopping smoking from the rough landing, a United Airlines rep was racing over to the baggage carousel. “Here, take this and go buy yourself another guitar. He handed me $19,000 in small bills. I didn’t have the heart to tell him that I had bought the guitar in 1967 at Expo in Montreal and paid $25 for it. United is not so bad after all. Now the problem is, how are they going to get that Airbus off that short runway in Moncton? The pilot had read his flight plan wrong; we were supposed to be in Montreal.
                                                ***********************
            A Wisconsin company, Three Square Market, has brought us closer to a time when we won’t need to use our brains any more.
            Many reading that sentence will not be surprised and will be saying to themselves: “Bob, you’ve functioned without a brain for decades!” Insults aside, this is a true news story. This company has implanted microchips under the skin of many of their employees so these people will no longer have to carry around credit cards, bank machine cards, identification cards of many kinds. They will just have to give the finger to all these electronic gadgets. Just think, they can go to Burger King or Wendy’s takeout lines and have their orders presented like after-shave lotion – unscented of course.
            The program is a voluntary one, but you know how that goes. When a company wants an employee to do something, they ‘ask’ and if you say no, say hello to your new job as washroom janitor.
            I am looking forward to more information as time goes by. Just think of the possibilities. You get the implant that is the size of a grain of rice, and immediately have your finger hacked. Of course this is not the same as ‘hacked off’. Washroom janitoring isn’t so bad anyway.
                                                ***********************
            Things are getting a little scary along Highway 105, just at the Victoria-Carleton county line. It looks as if the government, or technically the contractor Acott Construction, is about to tear up the old ‘pavement’ and replace it will a new road. After driving over that ‘road’ for years, I don’t think I will know how to react when it’s smooth. Even so, there will be still be a 5-km stretch not done, but it is not as bad a piece of road. That part will be replaced next year that, coincidentally, will be an election year.
            It is a nice stretch of New Brunswick along there, and I always enjoy the scenery in the Beechwood area. What has baffled me over the years is the fact that this road, barely driveable at times, is part of the River Valley Scenic Route.
                                            -end-

No comments: