Monday 14 August 2017

Einstein wasn't so smart (August 9)



DIARY

Summer observations from here

                        by Robert LaFrance

            Scientific geniuses like Albert Einstein and Robert Oppenheimer were alleged to be quite bright, but I’ll bet neither one of them can explain why, every year, it only takes about two weeks to go from April 15th to August 9th. I – and many others - can’t figure out why it takes a year to get from the last of November to the first of May.
            Although he wasn’t, strictly speaking, a rocket scientist, Albert Einstein was a fairly smart fellow. Intelligent anyway; I don’t know how smart he was. I refer to the present day questioning of his Theory of Relativity – E=MC2. Scientists now say he was wrong in several of his theories but I’m not convinced. Not that I would have the vaguest clue what any of them is talking about. It’s like all those theories of Sigmund Freud who has been proven wrong in many of HIS theories. I think I’ll just stick to Don Cherry. I know what he’s saying even if he doesn’t.
            Venezuela is in the news these days because a lot of people want President Maduro to resign and shoot himself. He has declined that suggestion. During recent  protests the government held an election that was boycotted by the opposition parties. I have never in my 69.2 years on this planet heard of an election boycott accomplishing anything. Does this make sense? You refuse to take part in an election and leave the field wide open for the guy already in there.
            Bottled water. Most people believe it comes from a sylvan and pristine spring in the middle of Labrador or the Rockies, but it’s really just filtered water, almost certainly less safe than tap water. For example, bottled-water plants must test for coliform (poop) bacteria just once a week; city tap water needs to be tested many dozens of times a month. Tap water in most big cities must be disinfected and filtered to remove pathogens, and tested for various viruses. Bottled water does not have to be. Then there are all those plastic bottles.
            On the last day of July, I played golf, sort of, in Plaster Rock with a bunch of elderly gentlemen (probably all younger than I am) and quite enjoyed it. The three chaps I played with did not laugh once at my bizarre shots, and that’s what I call class. There was only one downside on the day and that was the removal of all those groundhog and raccoon bodies from the woods where many of my drives (and putts) ended up. Like the concept of boycotts in the previous paragraph, I cannot figure out how I can aim straight ahead and have the ball end up behind me.
            One of these days I am going to write a very large book called Big Lies of the 21st Century. Prominent in the book will be this statement that we have all heard from our telephones: “Your call is important to us.”
            One reason that we Canadians should be very thankful to Donald Trump is that in the eyes of almost every other country in the world Canada has now risen about 34 points. People appreciate the fact that Canada’s leaders, though weird at times, don’t tweet. Certain winged creatures should tweet, but that bird in the White House should stick to the ‘reality’ show that is his life. The way the United States is going, Canada is  looked upon as a bastion of sanity and decorum, even if we don’t deserve it. After all, we have Don Cherry.
            Many city folks are under the impression that country living is not dangerous, that a place like Victoria County, NB, is safer than the mean streets of Toronto or Winnipeg. They are wrong. Picking raspberries yesterday morning, I popped one into my mouth without looking and managed to also take in a hornet. He, she or it promptly informed me that he wasn’t (and would never be) on my menu. The swelling has now gone down.
            A chap driving by here on Thursday stopped and asked for directions to Bon Accord Seed Farm and we, in the style of Tilley where I was born, got to talking. His home is in Germany and looks down on the Rhine River which is a heavy traffic area. He could not get over the sight of the empty St. John River, once known as ‘the Rhine of North America’. “You haff such a beautiful river and don’t even use it,” he said. “There should be many boats taking advantage of that wide river. Every family should own a houseboat.” He obviously didn’t realize that New Brunswickers are too busy 4-wheeling  to notice a little thing like a river.
            The English language is a weird bird all right. If there’s a propane, why isn’t there an ‘antipane’? Also, why does the word ‘flammable’ mean the same as ‘inflammable’? Don Cherry and I are looking into it.
                                              -end-

No comments: