Monday 14 August 2017

Van Gogh's prices have risen (July 5)



DIARY

Those ‘good old days’ were better only in some ways

                        by Robert LaFrance

            When I began my short-lived university career (September 1966- February 1967) in Fredericton it was a major project to talk to my own father.
            He lived in Tilley, a 2-hour drive (at least) from UNB and he might as well not have had a phone because his was ‘a party line’. Eight households on the one phone line so if I ever phoned home, everybody on that line would be hearing what I was calling about. Usually it was to find out of he needed any money that I could send him right away.
            Wait…maybe it was the other way around in reverse, as the comedian says.
            As an old person (I hope to make 70 next May) I have seen at least some of the ‘good old days’ and some of them weren’t so good. However, although there were not the miracles of today, at least we knew what was going on, and a millionaire was a very rich person. In the year 2017 one doesn’t get called rich until he or she is ‘worth’ at least $100 billion.
            Henry David Thoreau, one of my favourite authors, would have been aghast at the way things are done today compared to the 1840s when he built his cabin near Walden Pond. He said a pair of pants didn’t get comfortable until he had worn then them at least 25 times. Not all in a row of course; he did have friends and didn’t want to offend them.
            I have often wondered if he were from Victoria County, New Brunswick. He wrote about comfortable clothes and said that kings, from youth to death, never knew the feeling of wearing a good-fitting suit because they only wore each suit once. My friend Flug (Richard LaFrance, no relation) must be especially comfortable because he has been known to wear a shirt for two weeks.
            Probably what astonishes me most about modern times is how expensive everything is. My first car, a 1961 Ford Falcon that I bought in Hamilton, Ontario in the late 1960s, cost me $200. That wouldn’t buy two tires for my 2014 Toyota Corolla. My old friend Llewelyn bought a brand new Chevrolet Impala in 1972 for the grand total of $3200. A much-used 2005 Buick Century would go for that now.
            And yet we don’t complain. We just go on, day after day, knowing that we can’t afford whatever it is being sold on that particular day. I knew a guy who bought a $6000 Rolex watch that he has to take in for servicing every two years at a cost of $600 each time. I wear a $19 Timex and figured I had splurged when I bought that.
            When I was in my teens and the government was paying a million dollars a mile to build the Trans Canada Highway through Madawaska, Victoria and Carleton Counties, we ordinary citizens were amazed. At that time a Vincent van Gogh painting sold for $800,000. Now the government can’t seem to even fix potholes and a van Gogh painting went last week for $119 million.
            Has anything improved enough to justify the enormous cost of everything? Vincent vG is still dead and not making much money on the increased ‘value’ of his paintings, and roads are still roads. What seems to have changed is the people buying paintings and using the roads. Driving my Toyota around town and stopping at intersections, I am always interested in the fact that at each stop, there is a million dollars worth of hardware sitting there and idling within fifty metres of me.
            The cost of insurance, bank fees, vehicles and even coffee, compared to 1980 or 1995, has taken what experts are fond of calling ‘a quantum leap’ whose meaning I have yet to figure out. I think it means a lot.
            Possibly the point of this column is that we don’t need $6000 Rolex watches and we don’t need $64,000 pickup trips when we are not hauling freight between Grand Falls and Fredericton and don’t need to know the Rolex time. My father bought a sturdy 1952 International truck for hailing gravel and then lost his job working for the government because he was on the wrong side of politics, and that truck – I swear – was no bigger that the 2016 Dodge truck Flug’s nephew Glen bought last week. The heaviest thing Glen will ever carry on that truck will be a case of Railcar Brewing Company craft beer or a gallon of chain oil sitting on four garbage bags to avoid spillage of the oil. Mustn’t get the truck dirty.
                                 -end-

No comments: