Monday 14 August 2017

Greetings from France! (August 2)



DIARY

Summer health, wellness and other topics

                        by Robert LaFrance

            A decade or so ago, someone in the provincial government of New Brunswick decided that the Department of Health should be renamed the Department of Health and Wellness. I just remembered that and have been trying for some time to figure out the difference between health and wellness. If you know, email me at BobBewildered@W-Mail.ca. Kidding.
            My friend Flug’s nephew Igor joined the Canadian Armed Forces last December and did what no man should ever do – Igor asked his friend Arnie to look after his, Igor’s,  girlfriend, and don’t let any male predator get near her. Of course we know immediately what happened – Arnie and Igor’s girl Sheila got together and co-signed the ‘Dear John Letter’ to Igor who was serving on a frigate in the north Atlantic. Arnie added a little note at the bottom: “Thanks a lot for the present, old buddy!” Igor didn’t get the note until his ship stopped at Marseilles, France for supplies. He smiled, because Arnie’s former girlfriend Julianne was waiting at a church on Rue d’Arbres, Marseilles, where they would be married. Igor and Julianne had been planning this since last summer. Devious or what?
            Someone asked me last week what was my favourite poem. Since my youth my favourite one has been “Stopping by woods on a snowy evening” by Robert Frost, with number two on my hit parade being “Sestina of the Tramp-Royal” by Rudyard Kipling. There! Now you know all about me. Except for the word ‘snowy’ in the first one, those poems are top dogs in my book. In my younger days, when I wandered around Canada from east to west to far north, I often read the Sestina poem that ends like this: “It’s like a book I think, this bloomin’ world, that you can read and care for just so long, until you get the page you’re reading done, and turn another, likely not so good, but what you’re after is to turn ‘em all!”
            I have mentioned before in these pages that I have got to be the worst slob in Christendom and have seen no reason to revise that assessment. I put on a pair of clean trousers and within minutes I have spilled something on them – almost always something that won’t come out in the wash. If I had more than two shirts I would have to change every hour because of the dirt and stains. My first wife was in despair because she did the laundry (and still does, since I remain married to her against all odds) but it says in the fine print of the marriage contract “thou shalt put up with that klutz”. One day I heard her talking to a friend and saying: “You know, marriage isn’t a word; it’s a sentence.”
            It is curious that some people consider that they have a big problem when in fact it’s mere nothing. Last evening the news came on and once again it was Donald Trump, Russia, Canada-US trade talks, North Korea, Putin, global warming, pollution, forest fires and the Russians who have absolutely no shame. Ignoring all that, I spent at least three minutes tracking down and murdering a big fat housefly. Any person’s problem is important to HIM.
            This morning Flug decided he would do some gardening and told his wife Jellaine that he was going uptown to look for a hoe. She misunderstood. Flug should be able to come home by Monday.
            Here in New Brunswick, hardly a day goes by that we don’t hear once again that people who should be in nursing homes are taking up hospital beds at ten times the cost. In that same news report was the remarkable statement that one of these patients would only cost the government $45 a day if he or she had home care. I know that government bureaucrats are much smarter than I, but I wonder why the new Victoria Glen Manor in Perth-Andover had to be built with five fewer beds than the old Manor? Each of the two modules contain 30 beds, but surely someone could have suggested adding another module and making it 90 beds. But as I said, they’re smarter than I am. Aren’t they?
            I had a question for Flug, since he’s also smarter than I am: “What is the different between heart surgery and open heart surgery?” I was assuming that in the latter case the chest is opened up, but I was put right by my old friend, who used to be a barber on Parliament Hill and had several surgeons among his clientele.
            “Not for the first time, Bob,” he said kindly, “you don’t know your bum from a hole in the ground. It’s not called open heart surgery until the surgeon works on your heart while using bypass equipment, like a heart-lung bypass machine…Got any lemonade?”
                                            -end-

No comments: