Wednesday 28 June 2017

Haggis is food? (June 28)



DIARY

Is poutine the new haggis?

                        by Robert LaFrance

            I am risking my life in this Scottish-obsessed household by making a disparaging comment about haggis (devil’s cake) and the same thing goes for any bad adjectives referring to poutine, but luckily I am on this side of the international border and can’t get deported for breathing. However, there are those who think haggis and poutine are the twin apexes of culinary delight; then again some people eat ants.
            Haggis, in case you didn’t know, is the national dish of Scotland. That’s the country in which bagpipes is the national musical instrument. Poutine is the national dish of Quebec.
            That Scottish ‘food’ is made from the innards of sheep or ducks (I can’t remember which) and contains anything from suet to “sheep’s pluck” to onion and possibly the skin of aarvarks and is incased in a sheep’s stomach; poutine, popular with many, is made from grease covered with grease with more grease inside if needed.
            I have never had the nerve to try poutine, but under family pressure (if you know what I mean) I once took a bite of haggis. Note the word ‘once’.
            This quote is from an E. B. White book of essays. “The Epicurean Circle of London recently declared that the Scottish national dish haggis is the most horrible culinary concoction in existence in the 20th century.” I think we can extrapolate that to the 21st century, can’t we?
            Amazing what people do their bodies. I fell off a Ferris wheel once and would still prefer that experience to eating a saucer full of haggis or poutine. That must be why the Scots and Quebeckers are so tough; anybody who can ingest haggis and poutine can conquer the world.
                                                ***********************
            On another subject, I recently visited the Hendersons (or was it the Andersons?) and was amazed at what I saw in their bathroom. Nothing scatological or anything, but I refer to the number and names of some of the shampoos and things like that.
            It’s none of my business I know, but if I stuck to things that are only my business I wouldn’t be a hard-hitting investigative journalist. (“You’re not,” said Flug, who had been reading over my shoulder.)
            One of the items in the Hendersons’ bathroom was something called Dove For Sensitive Skin. Having known the family for a long time, I can safely surmise that none of them has sensitive skin. More like hide if you ask me.
            Then there was something called Down Under natural’s, a conditioner for all hair types. I have no idea and can’t guess why the word natural’s has an apostrophe or why it doesn’t start with a capital letter.
            A plastic container called Aveeno Active Naturals goes on to say that it is a ‘Skin brightening daily scrub’. Like the stuff from Down Under, I can’t imagine how a material out of a plastic container can use the word ‘naturals’, but I suppose with fraud now rampant, it’s only natural.
            The last one I’ll mention by name is Alpen Secrets goat milk body wash. Do goats wash with this? It wasn’t clear, but the container does have inside something call Argan Oil. This, I would say, is vital if one wants to remain beautiful.
            This all takes me back to the 1950s, when my mother forced me to take a bath every Saturday evening before bed (it would be a little inconvenient AFTER bed). The old galvanized tub hung in the closet until after supper, usually beans) on Saturday and then it emerged. I really don’t think they thought that through, but I did.
                                                **********************
            I’m not sure if I should report this, but a couple of my neighbours are in the midst of a Hatfield-McCoy type of feud. No shooting, but you never know with those city types. They both moved here from Jemseg and, after years of bad feeling there – they had side-by-side houses – they each bought a house here in the Scotch Colony between Bon Accord and Upper Kintore. Harry says he lives in Upper Kintore and Solly says he lives in Bon Accord. I happen to know that both their houses are officially in the Leonard Colony suburb of Trout Brook West, but I have never bothered to tell them.
            The first sign of problem after they settled in this area occurred when Solly painted his house robin-egg blue. Within a week Harry did too. Then Solly painted his house a sort of peach, followed a week later by Harry. This could have gone on forever, but I told Solly about the paint colour called Zealand Yellow. It goes on yellow, but within a week it turns a brilliant red. Of course Harry had painted his house yellow and it stayed that way.
            Bottom line: They finally called a truce, and Ferney’s Paint Store filed for bankruptcy. People sure do strange things, but that’s what keeps the economy humming.
                                          -end-

No comments: