Wednesday 28 June 2017

Waving with one finger (June 14)



DIARY

My cold doesn’t seem ‘common’ to me

                        by Robert LaFrance

As we speak, I am in, if not the depths of despair because of this cold, then certainly not many rungs from the bottom and The Big Swamp.
I, and I am sure most people, don’t want it to be called a common cold. It is not common to me, at least since last fall. To make it even worse, it’s a beautiful sunny day outside.
I was up all night coughing and my wife was too. It was a virtual symphony, and then Minnie the dog joined in. Far down in the valley I could hear the bagpipes being played by someone whose musicianship was dubious at best. A symphony indeed!
Why me? I asked of whoever might be listening. The answer came quickly from the heavens: “Because exactly four days ago you were telling your friend Flug that you didn’t get colds. You went on and said that you hadn’t had a flat tire for ten years. You must be demented! By the way, I hope you had fun changing that tire.”
                                    *******************
            Two days ago I drove by Flug’s house and looked in to see him washing his car. A Shop-Vac was sitting in his driveway. I waved to him with one finger. Communist.
            Down in the depths of the Scotch Colony and the heights of it (Upper Kintore) I spotted four more people out washing their cars inside and out, making a lot of work in spite of the fact that the vehicles would be dirty again in mere months, maybe six.
            I looked down at my floor mats and took great comfort that they looked as if they hadn’t been cleaned since Winston Churchill died (1965), which was quite a feat since the car is a 2014 Toyota Corolla. It wasn’t through lack of effort; I’ve had to work hard to keep Certain Persons from pushing her way into the car with three or four Shop-Vacs. You know what wives are like.
            So I continued my drive up along the Tobique where still more otherwise sober looking individuals were elbow greasing around their cars. If they would even take the cars out of sight behind a manure pile or something! It’s quite annoying.
It was after supper (Tilley Takeout) when I got home, and I had the eerie feeling that something was amiss. You know the feeling – you’re walking through a graveyard at 3:00 am and you start to get nervous when you see a headstone with your name on it. I walked into the silent house and couldn’t find anyone. That was suspicious right there; then I heard it – the sound of a vacuum cleaner and it was coming from outside, at 3:14 am.
You can guess the rest. It’s been two days now, and I’m still not calm after the treachery I witnessed inside and around that innocent Corolla. It’s as clean as a crow’s wing. It is clear that certain people can’t be trusted when there’s a vacuum cleaner around.
Even my son went over to the dark side and cleaned his car, inside and out.
Still on the same general line, cars, I was impressed that so many people cleaned their cars on June 6, which is of course D-Day, when the Allies hit the beaches of Normandy in 1944. Today D-day means something quite different and that’s why so many sad sacks are out washing their cars.
In 2017 the hyphenated word D-day stands for Daydream-day - which is what we should be doing instead of cleaning vehicles.
                                    ************************
At first when Donald Trump took over the rains (that’s not a misspelling) of power in the U.S.A., I, like many other journalists and columnists, was quite pleased because it meant we would have something to talk about,
However…he has ceased to be funny. I think he’s dangerous. I don’t think he is going to attack North Korea, because that would be the end of South Korea, but there is one country that should be wary of things ‘the Donald’ says and does,
I refer to our beloved Canada. Since the American public appears to both weak-minded (they elected him, didn’t they?) and ready to invade any country, why not invade the closest? Some people reading this are saying: “Mexico’s closer, you (t)wit!” But by the time he decided to send the troops into Acapulco, the Wall may hinder troop movements.
So let’s watch our backs and fronts.
Meanwhile, here’s a quote from George Faludy, whose 1986 memoir I recently read again. “Of all the good things about Canada, one of the best is that it is definitely not the United States.” Hear, hear.
                                       -end-

No comments: