Wednesday 28 June 2017

Is today Wensday? (May 24)



DIARY

Phony fakes and other revelations

                        by Robert LaFrance

            Good morning, afternoon and evening. Here are some major comments about this year’s occurrences. Make of them what you will:
            So many things are not as they appear and so many words are mispronounced. Let’s look at the days of the week. The one in the middle of every week, the one pronounced ‘Wensday’ or ‘Wensdee’ is an example of mispronounced words that we all utter. I am guilty as the rest of the population, though I’m perfect in everything else. How about the day before Sunday – Sair-dee? That’s how I usually pronounce it. And the second month of the year – Febuary? Yeah, there are supposed to be two r’s there.
            Last week I wanted to take a look at some flooding – as long as it’s not around here – so I drove down to Majorville whose name had often been mentioned on the radio news. I looked everywhere and the closest I saw was a place called Maugerville.
            In my never-ending quest for new and interesting books, I ran across a German  one about a young (red-haired) girl who went to rural Bavaria to live with an elderly couple there and help them on their farm. Perhaps you’ve heard of ‘Anne of Green Goebbels’? It wasn’t until later that Flug, who knows about these things, informed me that Joseph Goebbels was a Nazi murderer. Who knew? I’m sure his employer wasn’t too pleased about that.
            I am sure you have seen the recent headlines about a criminal who stole thousands of dollars from a Widows and Orphans Fund and then decided to give herself up to the police. People here were puzzled when she went into the Colony Police detachment and took a shower before confessing her felonies. Later on a reporter asked her about it and she said she wanted to make a clean breast of it. She was a bit confused, what with the cannabis sativa and all.
            The Americans seem to be on every newscast these days and I suppose that’s just a continuation of what has occurred in the past century, when Canadian news media took the easy and cheap way out and just reported on American stories, most of them bogus. Wyatt Earp and John Wayne are both American Male Cow Manure. The point I am  getting at is that so many things in Canada retain their American names. Come on now: Canadians can’t bake beans? They have to be baked in Boston? New York Style cheesecake can’t be that much different than Minto cheesecake, and Idaho potatoes are just potatoes. It is to laugh and be depressed. In fact, I think I’ll go out on the porch and sip on a Manhattan.
            Do you watch any detective shows on television? I watch a few, and in almost every show, the cop refers to a suspect as the last person to see the dead guy alive. Nobody seems to consider that only the murderer himself or herself can be the last one to see the victim alive. In other words, that detective is getting a little ahead of himself or herself.
            Last evening I read that a certain Shirley Gonereah had been named ‘A Fellow of Dartmouth College’ (here we go again, in the USA) but than they realized she wasn’t a fellow at all, but a person of the female persuasion. Isn’t it time that we fixed up that little flaw in the English language? Come on, guys and gals, let’s put on our thinking caps.
            Two days ago someone in government, and I’m not going to mention New Brunswick’s Minister of Something-or-other Roger Melanson, referred to something as being ‘a new innovation’. In all my 69 years on this planet, I have never heard of an old innovation.
            I may have asked this question – like after every rain – but why do earthworms try to cross the roads and streets after a rain? When I go out walking on or near our estate after a multi-hour downpour, I find hundreds of the little worms on the road, and the odd thing is, some are going to the left and some to the right. One day I picked up a few dozen and put them in a nearby field, only to find them returning ‘en masse’ back where they came from. You can’t help earthworms who won’t help themselves, as my mother, looking right at me, used to say.
            What is a tinderbox anyway?
            A phrase that has been making the rounds for the past decade or more is ‘unintended consequences’. This is a code phrase for: “Wow! Did I ever screw up!”
               Another phrase we hear a lot, especially from government (non) communication staff members is that something has ‘grown exponentially’. I can tell you now, that person would not have been talking about my patience with bafflegab.
                                       -end-

No comments: