Friday 16 January 2015

Seasick on the Bay of Fundy (Dec. 3)

Duct tape – “the handyman’s secret weapon” - NOT

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

            I’m an experienced reporter, right? I’ve reported on hundreds of hockey games, right?
            You wouldn’t know it from my report of the November 23 game between the SVHS Lady Vikings and the Hartland Lady Huskies. I re-invented the Huskies and all through my report I called them the Woodstock High School Lady Thunder. I found this out on the day the paper came out and a guy at the grocery store mentioned that Hartland had played. “Woodstock, you mean?” I said. No, he said, Hartland.
            I can only blame drugs and liquor; I don’t use them, but perhaps it’s time I started.
                                    ***************************         
            On another subject, I first heard a couple of years ago that the worst kind of tape anyone could use for taping together duct work is duct tape. Since then I have asked several people who should know – plumbers, furnace installers, people who watch the Red Green Show – and they all agree that when you want to tape together ductwork you should use practically any kind of tape except duct tape.
            It makes one wonder about everything else in life that we have taken for granted. As a cynical newspaper reporter (believe me, that is as redundant as ‘hot water heater’) I can’t say I ever believe anything, but I was sure that one thing I could count on in life was the efficacy of duct tape. It appears that, once again, I have been betrayed.
            Back in my youth, as I was growing up in the 1960s, I was sure there were many things I could trust: (1) Politicians had risen to where they were because they were smarter than I, (2) Beautiful people like Marilyn Monroe, Jacqueline Kennedy, and John F. Kennedy were very virtuous because they were so great looking, and there were so many people watching them. It turned out that those three, and hundreds of rich and famous like them, were on about the same moral plane as the average streetwalker, and  (3) If you’re a good person and you try hard you will succeed and be respected and admired.
            Looks as if I don’t limit my mistakes to hockey.
                                    *****************************
            This might not be cheerful either, but it lends itself to sarcasm quite nicely. I refer to the August police shooting of a teenager in Ferguson, Missouri. Last evening I was watching television and switched to CNN to see the St. Louis District Attorney making the announcement of the Grand Jury’s decision not to charge the police officer. I had predicted out loud – there is a witness – that there were not going to be any charges; anyone could tell by the way he was wording it. Sure enough, no charges against the officer, Darren Wilson.
            A police officer trained in unarmed combat and carrying gun, baton, mace, stun gun and nuclear weapons for all I know facing one unarmed man even if he did weigh 290 pounds. Yes, I could see the reasoning behind the Grand Jury’s decision that it was all right to shoot the young man six times. It’s a good thing there weren’t more; the police would have had to bring out grenades, tanks, and possibly fighter jets.
            Of course I must remember that this was in Missouri, a state in a country where people are not only allowed to own guns, but URGED to do so. The gun freaks over there keep referring to their Constitution, which speaks of ‘the right to bear arms’ but it’s ironic that all this killing comes about because of one misspelled word.
            The Founding Fathers, forced by tradition to wear heavy coats all the time, inserted in their Constitution that they should have ‘the right to bare arms’ and now you can see where that led.
            There is another high-profile case in Cleveland where a police officer shot a 12-year-old boy who was brandishing a toy weapon. A lot of criticism there, but I think people should put themselves in the place of the officer who had about a tenth of a second to decide if that gun were real. I saw a picture of the gun on television; it looked real enough to me, and a 12-year-old kid can kill you just as easily as a 34-year-old unemployed labourer.
                                    *****************************
            Completely off the topic:
            My friend Flug’s nephew Goren and his wife Sheilaxe just returned from a south seas cruise - Saint John, NB to Digby, NS. It was a rough crossing of the Bay of Fundy, but the captain, wanting to stop people from being sick, laid out a snack in the dining area. He started out with 18 guests but they kept turning green and leaving.

            “I’m so happy you eighteen – er, sixteen – folks were able to join me. You eleven must have sailed before. Well, we have seven of us here to partake of the clam chowder. Both of you will enjoy it.” The waiter brought out the chowder. “Take it away!” he said. “I don’t want to eat alone.”
                                                          -end-
                            

No comments: