Tuesday 27 January 2015

Anabaptists and Druids? (Jan. 21/15)

DIARY

There’s a lot of B.S. going around

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

            Buy green, buy green, buy green. I keep hearing that, but just last week I took some green ham out of the fridge and it smelled like the south end of a northbound horse.
            There’s a lot of such nonsense loose in the world – not that it’s nonsense to want to buy “green” products. I’m talking about all the companies that are leaping on the “green” bandwagon because that’s a good way to sell their products. However, when I am told that a certain company is selling “green” or “ergonomic” chainsaws or snow scoops, I have to step back and take a look.
            One such ad appeared on my TV last evening. The commercial was selling a certain snow scoop that was so much more efficient and easy to use than anything since Caesar’s mule. The next morning, after Mother Nature had dropped about 20 centimetres of heavy snow on this mountain and particularly on our driveway, my wife went out to try out the new scoop. (I had a soft tissue injury where I had fallen off the couch.) “How’s it going?” I said after I had hobbled to the doorway.
            “Trouble is, the snow’s not ergonomic,” she muttered. “I think those ads are a bunch of Male Cow Manure,” she added, and went back to work. Only she didn’t exactly say Male Cow Manure. In my pain, I settled back down in my easy chair with some medicine and resolved to speak to her about her language.
                                    ****************************
            It was quite amusing during the past holiday season to see the number of people on Facebook and elsewhere as they battled for the right to use the terms “Merry Christmas” and “Happy New Year” in the face of all that pressure to say simply “Happy Holidays”.
            The funny thing, I didn’t see anyone trying to take away that right.
            Maybe there were Anabaptists and Druids or possibly Martians who objected to the politically correct deletion of ‘Christmas’ but I didn’t meet any at the post office or at the Irving. Generally people said “Merry Christmas” the same as they always did and I didn’t see any police officers tasering them for it. Those who watched Facebook though, could see postings (as comments are called) like this: “I’m going to say Merry Christmas and that’s that. No one is going to force me to say “Happy Holidays”!”
            Yeah, okay. It all brought to mind that old saying from Proverbs: “The guilty fleeth when no man pursueth.”
                                    ****************************
            A question: What is so super about superstition? I could see if it were called STUPIDstition. We all know it’s stupid – except our own – so where and when did it become super? It reminds me of the phrase ‘The Great Depression’ or even ‘The Great War’ which we now call World War I. From every book I’ve ever read about the depression and that war, I can safely guess that neither was great.
            While on the subject of jobs, I just heard today on the radio news that several big Canadian companies will soon be cutting thousands of jobs because the shareholders haven’t been satisfied with their returns. Many companies demand a 3% profit margin and if a certain store – especially one in a rural area – only has a 2.89% margin, then it will close or its staff will be cut enough to ensure a 2.5% margin next time they measure it. Then it will be closed.
            Please note that if there is a layoff that the only ones who will get laid off will be those who do the actual work while the ones who merely know how to “work the system” will sleaze away like a July python in a Fort McMurray holding pond.
            Some other points to ponder (as they say in Reader’s Digest):
            I could do this the easy way – go to Google or the dictionary – but I would like the reader to let me know what the word “smithereens” means. Each week I smash the English language to it, yet I don’t know what it means.

            We are rained on every day by clouds of redundancies. People routinely say “first started” or “hot water heater”. A few days ago I heard someone refer to a certain athlete as “more unique” and only an hour after that I heard the phrase “all-pervasive” as if “pervasive” weren’t pervasive enough. Now I listen to my radio tell me that two companies were going to be made into “a single entity”. An entity is an entity; that’s all she wrote, and the word “vital” means just that. Saying “Vitally important” doesn’t make it more vital or more important.
                                           -end-

No comments: