Friday 16 January 2015

"Bob, you are an idiot!" - Flug (Dec. 17)

Describe the year 2014 – ZOOM!

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

            It’s true that I read a lot, and I read a lot of things that indicate the writer is less than satisfied with the ever-increasing pace of life. One item I recently read was discussing the modern inventions that “…have conquered time and space to a greater extent during the last sixty years than all the preceding six hundred years witnessed; so that a man may now cram into ten years as much experience as his grandfather could have done in fifty.”
            That article was written in 1897, when Queen Victoria, the beloved Queen Victoria, had been on the throne for seven or eight centuries, or so it seems.
            I was recently in Fredericton and, for the first time in several years, rode on a bus. I counted FIFTEEN people who were tapping away on their cellphones, iPhones, uPhones, Androids, laptop, boxtops, and Eye-Pads, and I wondered: “What have those people accomplished during this bus ride?”
            Then I asked myself what I had accomplished by watching them tap, tap, tap. The answer to that second question was ‘nothing’ but THEY at least had communicated with other people and if they didn’t do that they at least played some electronic games.
            Many people – or many persons, to use proper English – my age point to the ubiquitous electronic equipment that’s been set loose as an example of how the younger generation has gone to hell in a handbasket, but those of us who only have a cellphone, a Smartphone and half a dozen laptops plus a desktop computer and a car that relies on computers are doing just the same thing.
            Therefore, when and if January 1st arrives for me, I am going to resolve that, like Thoreau, I will “simplify, simplify, simplify”. I shall buy a horse and buggy, get rid of anything electronic in the house, forbid the use of cellphones within 400 metres of me, and (as mayor) ban ‘texting’ in the Scotch Colony.
            “That’s not simplifying,” said my friend Flug who was reading over my shoulder  as I typed, “that’s being a simpleton.”
            I demurred, which I understand means the same as disagreed. “Life is too complicated today, Flug,” I said. “I want to go back to the good old days when we were kids, happily playing baseball on the fields of Tilley. Remember the fun we had? All kids do nowadays is wear out their thumbs on those Eye-Pads and suchlike.”
            “Seems to me that you and I were just uptown last week and watched some hockey and basketball games involving youngsters who were in better shape than we ever were,” Flug pointed out in his gentle but pointed way. “You’re an idiot, Bob.” He pulled his Smartphone out of a pocket, “and I’m going to text that sentence to you so that it’s on the record.”
            “On the record,” I snorted delicately. “How can it be on the record when it only exists digitally? There aren’t any records any more, paper records that last and last. It won’t be long before any records we have will only exist like that and when Apple or Google decide to discontinue this phone and we can’t even get batteries any more, they’ll all disappear.
            “There won’t be any more museums, so Quebec will fold up and fly away. Every community in that province has one or two (federally funded) museums…”
            “There is an upside to everything,” sneered Flug who, in his career as a Parliament Hill barber, had had many a run-in with Bloc Quebecois MPs. “But back to reality, if you get rid of everything electronic, what are you going to drink when  lemonade is not available? Your water pump here at your estate is electronic.” I scratched my head in consternation at that one. Actually, I was scratching my head in Kincardine, but as Grampy used to say, the odds is the difference.
            “What will you do for entertainment?” Flug went on relentlessly. When I said I would work at ‘projects’ like cutting wood and painting the garage, he was sceptical. “Bob, to put it gently, you are a lazy bum and always have been. The idea of you spending your days doing physical work is about as likely as Stephen Harper parachuting off the Peace Tower.”
            “Well, thanks for putting it gently, Flug.”
            After I said I would spend a lot of time reading, he asked me how I would get to town “…and don’t give me that male cow manure about buying a horse and buggy. Do you remember taking care of your father’s horse King? The one that squeezed you against the wall of his stable and almost killed you?”

            So let’s go to the bottom line: I decided not to get rid of all my electric and electronic devices, but I would insist on registering my complaint in this column; here it is. By the way, I just checked out the Christmas presents my wife had bought me and left in plain sight at the back of the closet under some clothes in a trunk, and there is a new iPad. I guess I can stand it a while longer.
                                                   -end- 

No comments: