Tuesday 6 March 2018

Feed some homeless instead (Jan. 17)


Let it snow, let it snow – NOT!

                        by Robert LaFrance

            I was astonished – as I often am – by what I saw out my living room window yesterday afternoon, just as the aroma of highly spiced spaghetti sauce was wafting around inside this house.
Two persons rode by on bicycles. The road wasn’t quite glare ice, but it was on its way in that direction. Occasionally one bike would spin out and the rider would go flying. Were they crazy or what? I went down to the road, wanting to size them up before they started down the steep east side of Manse Hill.
“Hi ho,” I said intelligently. “None of my business, but why are you folks out riding your bicycles when the road is so slippery I have to be careful with my Corolla that has top-of-the-line snow tires?”
One of the cyclists took off his helmet and I recognized Barley Gibbers. “We went by here last summer and you came down to talk to us, don’t you remember?” I said I did. “Well, what we’re doing today is recycling.”
                                                ***********************
            One of last week’s snowstorms dropped about 40 centimetres of snow here at our estate; you may possibly have noticed this yourself, if you live in this county or in nearby Maine. Then two days later Environment Canada (my old crowd) predicted we would receive “5 to 10 centimetres” the next day.
            That doesn’t sound like much, if you say it fast, but the trouble is that Environment Canada has a kind of code known only to weather people, an entity that I used to be. When they say “5 to 10 centimetres” that is Codespeak for “30 centimetres or more, and probably more – you’re on your own”. If you don’t believe me, keep checking the EC website (https://weather.gc.ca) and if the forecast for here suggests we are about to get “5 to 10 centimetres”, reach for a plane ticket to somewhere far south, like Maugerville, or even Brazil. You might consider Singapore, where my second elder daughter lives. Average temperature there is 30ºC. That’s ABOVE zero Celsius.
            Back to the plight of us/we who live in New Brunswick, Canada, and wouldn’t want it any other way, it fell to me to clean off our porch roof with shovel and scoop. When I got out of bed about 7:30 I wondered why it was still dark out and the knowledge soon filtered into the old grey matter that a snowdrift covered almost the entire bedroom window. It behooved me to get up and shovel.
            I went onto the porch and got a small scoop and a small shovel, then brought them to the upstairs bathroom. (“Where else?” you are asking.) After shoveling my way out of that window and onto the porch roof, I was able to remove two-thirds of the snow before my get-up-and-go got up and went. At least the roof wasn’t likely to cave in. Truth to tell, something I try and avoid, there wasn’t much danger of that anyway because the snow was not of the super-heavy variety as it was after one storm about ten years ago, but that’s another story for another day.
                                                ***********************
            When I visited my friend Flug on Monday evening, he was watching a CBC-TV program called “The Outsiders Among Us”. It was about homeless people in various Canadian cities.
            The women who used to be called ‘bag ladies’ when I lived in cities (1967-1976) have a scary existence, if you can call that existing. The men, who were usually alone rather than hanging around with others in their situation, were no more inspiring. The camera followed several homeless people in Edmonton, Toronto and other places and it was amazing to see them crawling into their cardboard shelters for the night or picked up by the police and taken to homeless shelters for the night. The next morning they would be turned out again to fend for themselves, but at least they had had a meal at the shelter.
            Flug and I watched silently, sipping on water instead of our usual lemonade. The program pointed out that a few million dollars in donations from those lucky enough to have roofs over their heads could provide food and lodging for these people and get many of them some much needed medical care.
            Once the program was over, we just looked at each other and we were each thinking the same thing, I am sure: “Tomorrow I go up and donate food and money to the food bank.”
            I’m not sure if this was planned, but a TV program soon afterward described how pet owners lavished expensive food, shelter and medical care on their pets. One cat, found in the woods, had a $1500 operation before it died two days later. Not to pass judgment or anything, but that $1500 would have bought a lot of hot soup for homeless humans.
                                        -end-

No comments: