Wednesday 10 January 2018

Triskaidekaphobia (Jan 10/18)



A long-standing superstition

                        by Robert LaFrance

            My old Aunt July, born in the back woods of Moose Mountain (is there a front woods?) in 1926, just after the first World War, just before the not-so-great Depression hit, and just before Hitler started gearing up for try #2, is rather superstitious.
            If she finds she has 13 teaspoons in her silverware drawer, out goes the offending 13th, as far out in the woods as she can throw it. That sometimes causes a problem, because Aunt July’s vision is not the best and she has been known to bounce silverware off the dog Boomer’s nose or, worse, has been known to throw away what she THOUGHT was the 13th spoon, if you know what I mean. That’s when she calls me.
            FYI – The fear of the number thirteen is called triskaidekaphobia. I looked it up in an actual dictionary.
            The reason I mention auntie’s being a superstitious person is that on New Year’s Day she has the happiest lady in the Scotch Colony, because Edgar Stinson visited her. To go back a bit for an explanation, Aunt July believes that if ‘a tall dark man’ is the first one to visit her in the new year, she will have good luck all year. We all remember the year that Gary McNab, who is short and blond haired, arrived about 8:30 am January 1st, and she wouldn’t let him in although he had driven all the way from Birch Ridge to deliver two dozen eggs. She wouldn’t let him pass the doorway and even produced a .410 shotgun to emphasize it.
            So this year, when Edgar stopped by at 9:43 am, she invited him in with Alacrity. That’s his Border Collie. To gauge just how pleased Aunt July was, I just have to mention that auntie has NEVER allowed a dog in her house. Ever.
            A further explanation: Edgar Stinson is actually a grey-haired gent, and, without his hair dye and his elevator shoes, is five foot three, counting his toque. This story COULD have turned out badly, but Edgar lives in Minto and left for there on January 2nd after making a total of $450 being paid by relatives like me for visiting their elderly and superstitious living ancestors.
                                                **********************
Seguing to another subject, the cold weather, I am impressed by the number of times I hear a radio or television announcer warn all of us to “dress in layers”. What in the name of Blue Northern Corncobs does that mean?
I thought about this for several seconds and came to the conclusion that these announcers must be a lot smarter than I am, but on the other hand: is there any way NOT to dress in layers?
First of all, let’s examine the meaning of the phrase. I looked to Doctor Google, a guy or gal I find on my computer and here’s what he/she says: “Layered clothing is a term describing a way of dressing using many garments that are worn on top of each other. Some of the layers have different, largely non-overlapping, functions. Using more or fewer layers, or replacing one layer but not others, allows for flexible clothing to match the needs of each situation.”
My sainted grandfather used to say: “I’ll just leave that with you, Bob.” That’s what I’ll do here. I always appreciated that Grampie never called me Bobby, although many (including my sister) still do. Bryce Bishop, proprietor of Mr. B’s restaurant in Perth-Andover, has another nickname for me, but you’ll have to ask him. This is a family newspaper.
                                    **********************
Thinking about winter even more, I stumbled upon some information about the long-defunct (if you’ll excuse my language) Rhinoceros Party of which I was a member for almost seven years under the name of Tilley Dog.
It was a political party whose main platform promise was that it would never honour a campaign promise, clearly a group of folks at whose feet Donald Trump must have sat.
It promised to ban winter and, to lure Alberta voters, it promised to tear down the Rocky Mountains so Albertans could also enjoy Pacific Ocean sunsets. On the language issue, always a touchy political one, they were adamant about maintaining English and French as official languages across our nation, but wanted to add a third – illiteracy.
Rhinoceros Party president Jacques Ferron had a larger ambition than the rank-and-file (that’s me) of the party. He wanted to annex the United States and therefore raise the national average temperature, but if the party had still existed in 2016 – it had dissolved in 1993) he would have had another plan in mind. He would still have wanted to annex the United States, but his objective would have been to raise the collective IQ of the continental U.S. (while lowering ours).
                                                          -end-

No comments: