Wednesday 10 January 2018

I admit I am a wimp (Dec 20)



Toilet paper in arena parking lots

                        by Robert LaFrance

            I was a little embarrassed last evening when the guys at the club found out my new car had heated seats. The word ‘wimp’ was bandied about. I hope they don’t find out the car has a backup camera and heated outside rear-view mirrors.
            We certainly are spoiled these days.
            When I think of being spoiled, I remember, just barely, when I bought my first computer in October 1994. I never even turned on a computer at that time, but the newspaper editor of the day said I needed to write my column digitally so I could just take it to his office on a diskette. Remember those?
            So I sought the advice of a computer nerd and my willing victim was the late Bob Inman. He was so nerdy that he played an electronic keyboard way back then. So when I asked him for his help and advice, he said he’d go with me to the store called Computer: Wise in Caribou, Maine, where he bought all his electronic equipment. Reluctantly I agreed to get my computer there although I prefer to buy almost everything in Canada, where my taxes go to medical care and other Canadian efforts.
            (NOTE: Taxes paid in the state of Maine stay there, so next time you get a ‘free’ medical procedure in New Brunswick, and complain about waiting, remember those taxes you left in Maine.
            Enough of that rant and back to the purchase of my first computer. Bob and I drove over there and when I pulled out of the parking lot the trunk and back seat of my 1985 Oldsmobile was packed with boxes full of mysterious looking stuff.
            When we got here, Bob helped me bring the boxes up to my office and then said: “There! You shouldn’t have any trouble now; we’ve shown you what goes where.” I reached in my desk drawer, pulled out a .44 Magnum pistol for my right hand, and a .38 Remington Colt for my left hand.
            “Bob,” I said. “My wife is starting to cook some chicken stew and you WILL be here to sample it. Now let’s start opening these boxes.” Two hours later, I had made notes and recorded everything he’d said about my computer, and boy did I need that information over the next few months! Even today I still am baffled at some of the things my computers do, so I cannot say I am spoiled. However, those heated seats are very handy and I ain’t giving them up.
            On reflection, I should not have used the word ‘handy’ to describe those seats, because the hands are not the parts of the body that are toasted.
                                                ***********************
            Another area of life in which I am not spoiled – in spite of my many comments about TV – is in entertainment. Quite a lot of my entertainment comes from reading, an activity that doesn’t seem to be done any more by people under thirty.
            A few days ago I was sitting in my car and waiting for a hockey game to start so I could take photos, and young (27) friend knocked on the glass. With the electronic magic and not an actual roller, I put down the window.
            “What are you doing?” he asked. I looked at the book I was holding, something by either Margaret Atwood or Mark Twain (it’s hard to tell them apart) and I informed the gent that it was a book. “I read Kindle books,” he said, “when I read books.”
            I asked him what book he was reading these days and he said ‘Warren Peace’ which he said he thought was about rabbits. I asked if the book was set in Russia and he said he thought so, although Napoleon had been mentioned several times and he hadn’t come across any rabbits yet.
            It was great talking to him, because I could feel smug about my vast collection of books, read and unread. The point is, young people – and that’s everybody younger than I – don’t read books any more. By the way, the book ‘War and Peace’ is about a lot of war and not much about peace. At least I think it is. I don’t know anybody who has read it all the way through.
                                                ***********************
            I want to tell you about an adventure I had recently had in Plaster Rock. I was walking into the Tobique-Plex civic centre when I had to blow my nose. (I know, too much information.) I hauled a red handkerchief out of my pocket and unfolded it in the wind, not noticing a nearby trailer with a load of bulls.
            One bull saw the waving red handkerchief and decided he would cause a scene. Smashing out the tailgate of the trailer, he headed in my direction. I did escape, but I am telling this story for a reason, to ask this: Would arena people everywhere please place Delsey dispensers in the parking lot after this?
                                          -end-

No comments: