Wednesday 10 January 2018

No resolutions (Jan 3, 2018)



You misjudge my age – I’m 39

                        by Robert LaFrance

            About an hour and a half ago I was walking down our front driveway when I heard a metallic noise behind me. It was two brass monkeys, and were they ever in distress!
            It has truly been cold enough to freeze the ears, or whatever, off a brass monkey and I had the proof lying on my driveway.
            As an old Arctic hand, I should be able to handle the cold a lot more easily than I have been. I look out the window from my heat-pump heated living room and see very few examples of humanity out there.
            What’s going on anyway? I looked over meteorological records for the past ten years and in each of those years this time of year was, compared to now, like Puerto Rico except for the hurricane damage. I don’t want to wish my life away, but holy freud, when is April going to get here?
                                                ***********************
            On to another story, one of my favourites, and this was one I heard from my late father-in-law Lloyd Morton. The names have been changed to protect my bank account from lawsuits.
            One day in the 1940s or perhaps 1950s, Lloyd stopped at a house in Bon Accord and was chatting with a farmer named McJinson who told him that the day before he had harvested his oats and barley and ended up with 25 bags of oats and 10 bags of barley. “But,” said McJinson, “when you and I went to town yesterday somebody helped themself to 10 bags of oats. I think I know who it was too, but I am not going to mention the theft to anyone.” Lloyd swore (as much as he ever swore) not to say a word either.
            In early December there was a bit of a get-together at Burns Hall. Lloyd and McJinson were standing in a circle with two other farmers named Mondeer and Atkinson. They covered all sorts of subjects, and after a while they got talking about last fall’s harvest. “Did you ever find out who stole your oats?” said Mondeer.
            “I just did,” McJinson told him.
                                                *************************
            I have mentioned before in these pages how much I admire the Perth Elks for all the many decades of community service it has done since the early 1950s when it was formed. I talked for hours over the years with the late Sewell Shaw who died last year just missing his 100th birthday and if you want an example of someone with a prodigious memory, Sewell was he. Look on my Facebook page ‘Old Photos of Victoria County’ (over 4040 members) for lots more history of the village.
            Walking recently on the Perth (east) side of Perth-Andover, I took note as I have dozens of times before of the places where businesses flourished back then. About two decades ago Sewell did an interview with the late Vaughan DeMerchant about the village of Perth – as it was then called until 1966 when it merged with Andover – and what buildings were there.
            The majority of people now living in the area would not remember seeing a whole line of businesses located on the river bank as well as the other side of Perth Main Street and the back streets. “There were eleven grocery store on the Perth side of the river at one time,” Sewell told me once. Along that riverbank there was a newspaper printing shop, a Chinese restaurant, a drug store, two harness shops, two or three grocery stores – name something, no brothels please.
Our family used to come from Tilley to Perth on Saturday, either during the day or, less likely, in the early evening and shop for necessities. The only vehicle we had in the early 1950s was a 1952 International truck with a gravel hauling body that father used when working on Tobique Narrows Dam. One day he forgot to put it in gear and we all landed down in the river which was about a foot deep. I don’t know how we got out but here I am.
Amid all this sort of thing Perth Elks was going strong but I had never heard of it until I joined in 1978. Since then I’ve learned that the Elks gives thousand of dollars every year to needy people, like those who have just lost their home to fire, or who can’t afford to buy a hearing aid for their child. The meeting held about three weeks ago saw the club give $200 to the SVHS graduating class and lend their kitchen to the class for two fundraising meals. I was accidentally at both of them and stuffed my face.
The reason I mention all this is to say thanks to Perth Elks, a service club I have been a member of for many decades, although not since 1953. Come on! I’m only 39!
                                        -end-

No comments: