Tuesday 6 March 2018

Fredericton traffic circle (Jan 31/18)


Sneaking up on a pair of expensive shoes

                        by Robert LaFrance

            I have had enough of the phrase ‘or you can buy it online’. The message is that we old-fashioned types who would prefer to walk into a store and buy something are dinosaurs, worthy of snickers and sneers.
            Those stores we prefer to walk into are now only ‘bricks and mortar’ as if that’s a bad thing. Somebody said that, accompanied by a sneer, to me last week, and I pointed out that the only thing different these days is that companies like Amazon just have bigger ‘bricks and mortar’ buildings compared to Lila Goodine’s store that used to be located in Tilley. In fact, Amazon, as we speak, is entertaining bids from cities that want to house its second headquarters that will cost $5 BILLION and will provide 50,000 jobs.
            Now THAT’S bricks and mortar! I doubt if Tilley has put in a bid.
            All that’s really happening is that jobs are being moved, as usual, from smaller areas to the big cities. As Grampy would have said: “I can’t believe so many people would want to live so far away from everything here in  Tilley.”
                                                ***********************
            Speaking of cities, day before yesterday I got lost in Fredericton’s traffic circle. Really. I have gone around Halifax’s and Riverview’s circles without mishap except for taking an unexpected detour to Saskatoon in each case, but that Fredericton traffic circle is beyond even my sharp wit, canniness, perception and horse sense. I blundered into that Fredericton circle like a lamb going into a night club or Donald Trump attempting to make sense.
            Have you experienced the phenomenon? Picture yourself in an electric clothes dryer, then close your eyes, then have someone hit you behind the left ear with a rolling pin. I entered that traffic circle at 10:10 am and emerged at 3:06 PM. Behind me and ahead of me were seven police cars and an old guy pushing a shopping cart full of toilet paper. He kept yelling: “Follow the Charmin!”
            It was a scary experience, but I did finally get out and found myself at the corner of Smythe and Prospect Streets. Still unnerved, I turned left into the oncoming traffic and fetched up along a sidewalk where the old guy with the toilet paper gesticulated that I should back up and turn right, which put me right back into the traffic circle, except going the wrong direction.
                                                **********************
            As one who is near the age of seventy, I have some advice for people my age if they want to buy a pair of sneakers.
            Don’t call them sneakers. After my traffic circle experience, I went into a big  store called SportChek. I looked EVERYWHERE for a sign showing me where I could look at some sneakers. It reminded me of shopping for shampoo in grocery stores and pharmacies and finding everything but.
            In SportChek I finally broke down and asked a clerk where I find some sneakers. He looked at me as if I were made of bricks and mortar. “Do you mean running shoes, walking shoes…” He listed another 12 kinds of shoes, none of them sneakers.
            All this has the effect of annoying me because, first of all, he was young, which meant I hated him right away. I looked around the 5-acre store for a clerk over thirty years of age and there was no such creature. I was stuck with this guy and his designer beard.
            “Look,” I said patiently, “I am just looking for a pair of sneakers so I can go on a walking trail--”
            “Aha!” he said, as if I had just revealed the secrets of fusion and how to win at Blackjack. “So it’s WALKING shoes you want!” All of his sentences from then on ended, I am sure, with exclamation points. Looking at my lemonade belly, he commented: “You don’t do much running do you?” I said I sometimes walked fast. “Then it’s Intermediate shoes you want!”
            Then he led me over to a dark corner of the store and pointed to a shoebox that was covered with dust and age. “Tell me that you wear size eleven and I’ll sell you those ones for half price!” How much was that, I asked timidly. He mentioned a figure that was roughly twice my monthly car payment, plus tax. I bought them, just to get out of that blasted city. By the way, I got caught once more in the traffic circle.
                                                      -end-

No comments: