Wednesday 14 March 2018

Is a mandolin the same as Amanda Lynn? (March 14)



Il faut cultiver notre jardin

                        by Robert LaFrance

            The great philosopher Voltaire (1694-1778) wasn’t even a gardener, but one of the many things he left behind and was famous for was this quote: “Il faut cultiver notre jardin” which means “we should mind our own damn business”.
            The quote came from his novel Candide, a book I read a couple of times when I was in my early twenties when I took it to heart; I didn’t poke my nose in where it didn’t belong, and if you believe that you’ll believe that Donald Trump is a genius.
            I quit following Voltaire’s advice the day I found out that Voltaire wasn’t even his real name. It was a pen name, taking the place of the name he was born with – Francois-Marie Arouet. It must have been confusing to his pals down at the Paris Legion, Branch #5.
            So here we are, in March, not only that, but mid-March, and Voltaire comes to mind. I have my Vesey seed catalogue sitting at my elbow and I am getting suggestions from my son-in-law in Singapore. He hasn’t been near a Canadian garden for a year and a half and is eager for me to plant some of the vegetables that he and my daughter enjoy. I am looking forward to planting something different from what I have for ten years or more.
            After a while green peas, carrots, radish and all the other traditional garden crops have grown a little boring, so with Mike’s suggestion in mind, I want to try things a little more exotic, like qing choi, collards, garlic and scapes, kale, rocket, argula, and stir-fry greens. I am not even sure some of this stuff is legal.
                                                **********************
            Turning to other subjects:
            It looks as if North and South Korea, while each not being overly trustful of the other, might be sitting down to talk soon, but there’s one big menacing beast that could ruin the whole détente thing.
            Its name is Donald J. Trump. All it needs is for that gent to write one of his stupid tweets – in other words any of his tweets – and that will be the end of warmer relations. He reminds me of a schoolyard bully who sees others having fun building something and then goes over to kick it apart.
            So here’s what we do, or what the American people should do: get a bunch of tough nuts to hold down Trump and take away his smartphone so North and South Korea can talk in a quiet room.
                                                *************************
            On a musical note, no pun intended, my friend Flug just got married again and we  chipped in to buy him a new mandolin. My old friend has played his old Rogue since he was a barber on Parliament Hill way back there, a long time ago, and the Rogue has become a bit threadbare, if that’s not stretching the adjective too far.
            So we got together, six of us, and paid $17,540 for an A-Style Oscar Schmidt OM10E A-Style Spruce Top Acoustic-Electric Mandolin. My share was $25. It was a stroke of luck that we included Billy Lee Threnody in the group; he had just won four million dollars in the North Tilley Lottery. Anyway, Flug was thrilled and immediately dropped it on the concrete floor of his garage. It broke the neck; we almost did the same to him, but Billy Lee said he’d pay to have it repaired.
            That isn’t the end of this saga. That evening Flug’s new bride Ann happened to be listening when Flug answered the phone and somewhere in the conversation used the words “a mandolin”. Ann thought he was talking to an old girlfriend named ‘Amanda Lynn’ and whacked him upside the head with her hardwood rolling pin. He’s recovering.
                                                **********************
            Not to lean too heavily in this Canadian column about Donald J. Trump, a blustering bibulous blowhard, but he has turned out to be the most disruptive president in my lifetime and in many lifetimes before mine.
            He’s an embarrassment to most Americans and even to me who, while knowing that Canada is the best country in the world, have always admired many things about the U.S. except their absolute worship of guns. “The sacred right to bear arms,” one bare-armed gun owner said yesterday.
            When I was between eight and ten years old, and Eisenhower was president, I spent my summers on my uncle’s  and aunt’s potato farm near New Sweden, Maine, and never had a problem (except her catching me smoking Marlboros one day) even though I didn’t carry an AR-15 or a Kalashnikov rifle while pulling mustard in the fields. Whew! Lucky.
                                                      -end-

No comments: