Sunday 16 March 2014

Tempus fugit for sure (Feb. 12/14 column)

Where have all the flowers gone?

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

            Last evening I looked at my calendar to see if I needed to send birthday wishes to anyone in February. It turns out that my cousin – one of the cousins I grew up with – turns sixty-five, and my nephew, who only a few years ago was a teenager zooming around on a snowmobile, is turning fifty.
            How did that happen?
            Oh sure, I am 65 going on 66 (as they say unnecessarily) but I don’t feel a day over 64, so how come these relatives are getting so old? I was going to make a joke about their catching up to me, but I thought about for a while and realized there’s only one way they could do that, and I wouldn’t like that way at all.
Aging is a curious thing. A lot of people get older as they do it, but I don’t; I just get better. (Flug says there’s lots of room for improvement.)
                          ****************************
            My column two weeks ago asked if bureaucrats and politicians who announce cutbacks and who say there’ll be no reduction in service are (1) stupid or (2) lying.
            I was referring to the latest Horizon Health cuts in numbers of radiologists and their assertion that it wouldn’t affect patient care, but only hours after that column appeared in the paper a similar thing happened, this one involving the federal government.
            Across Canada the feds shut down eight Veterans’ centres and then insisted that the soldiers and former soldiers suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome could get just as much help from Service Canada offices.
            The odd thing is, in this case they might be right, because, going by the number of military suicides in the past few months, whatever the government was doing wasn’t working. I have this sinking feeling that this lack of effectiveness has been due to other government cutbacks. That’s their answer to everything, but I think I can safely predict that, as we get closer to an election (provincial 2014, federal 2015) the politicians will stumble upon huge caches of money under beds and chairs.
                                 ****************************
            James, a reporter I know on a weekly (weakly?) newspaper in eastern Ontario phoned me on Tuesday and could hardly talk, he was laughing so hard.
            “Slow down!” I said into the phone. “Turn down the music in the Elks Club juke box and tell me why you’re laughing so hard. I need a laugh because I just received my income tax (the Rides of March) forms in the mail.”
“I had a misprint in my newspaper story about Mayor Roredon,” he laughed. “I meant to write he was INDUCTED into the municipal hall of fame and I typed INDICTED which, as you know, being a famous reporter, means charged by the local prosecutor.”
“I suppose the mayor was not pleased,” I said, still unaware of the source of his good humour.
“He came roaring into the office and was going to shoot me, string me up, run over me with a D-9 Caterpillar bulldozer and then get rough.”
“Then what’s so funny?” I asked.
“While the mayor was yelling at me, Staff Sergeant Wilcox came in and arrested him. Within an hour, he was INDICTED for bribery, corruption, spitting on the sidewalk, and whatever else they could think of. I love it!”
And so we come to the German word ‘schadenfreude’, one that I’ve wanted to use for quite a while. It means ‘enjoying someone else’s misfortune’.
                     ****************************
We have a new bartender at the club – our seventh this winter – and his name is William Tell. Those of us of a certain age remember that the old TV show ‘The Lone Ranger’ began and ended with a piece from the opera ‘The William Tell Overture’ and I want you to know that this William Tell has nothing to do with that William Tell. The closest he has come is that on Tuesday evening, when it snowed, he was complaining because he left something at the club – the William Tell Overshoes.
We are all rather tired of hearing about the young rock singer Justin Bieber’s problems with the law. Referring to the previous paragraph, I might remind you that the original William Tell was the guy who, trying to gain his freedom, was forced to shoot an arrow through an apple on his son’s head. I hope Justin’s dad is practising his bow skills.

In my (our) Facebook group ‘Old Photos of Victoria County, NB’ there has been quite a discussion about girls’ pants. I am not referring to girls’ panties, but about the days when the female students of almost every NB high school were not allowed to wear pants to or in school. It was the late 1960s before SVRHS in Andover started allowing it so that girls didn’t have to wade snow to their bare knees. You can see the discussion on the FB pages, including one remark: “If the (male) principal insisted on girls wearing skirts in -30º weather, let him try it.” Amen.
                                         -end-

No comments: