Sunday 16 March 2014

Our eternal winter of 2013-14 (March 12)

Why did I buy this barbecue anyway? 

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

            It’s 3:55 on a Tuesday afternoon. I’ve spoken to fourteen persons today, and all but one said, word-for-word: “Will spring ever get here?” The fourteenth said: “Will winter never end?”
            I don’t know whether it’s my age, or merely my missing brain cells – the ones that have been deserting me since 1987 – but it seems to me that our whole approach to winter has changed since that fateful year.
            It used to be that everyone loved winter. Why, I remember it well, when the temperatures used to go to –40 as a regular thing in February, we all rejoiced at the chance to freeze our jaws off. Now we rarely see –20, and THAT’S Celsius (the Swedish word for wimp) because of Global Warming, the holes in the ozone layer, the tar sands, and Stephen Harper.
            Instead, nowadays you listen to a weather report or ‘forecast’, as I laughingly call those pitiful prognostications, and they routinely use the ‘wind chill’ figure to try and catch our ears and to scare us. When I was in the weather service we were forbidden to emphasize this. I remember the OIC (Officer in Charge) at Sachs Harbour, NWT, telling us: “If people are too stupid to stay inside when it’s minus 30 and the wind’s howling, let them freeze as solid as a brass money’s cojones.” He spoke a bit of Spanish.
            My daughter lives in Calgary and I often tune in to the weather reports from there. I did so last evening to be greeted by the bearded weatherman saying: “Forty-seven below tonight, folks!” I almost fell off my chair to think that my delicate angel would have to go to work in that freezer. I texted her and advised that she move to Hawaii. She wrote back that it was only –18C and she was allergic to pineapples.
            I suppose you are wondering what was so ‘fateful’ about the year 1987. Well… the beginning of this essay I knew, but I just cannot remember now. Talking about missing brain cells. (Thinking I was back in the 1960s, I went to an LSD meeting last month only to find that the letters stood for ‘Local Service District’.)
                                *****************************
            Has there been a time in the past five decades when there wasn’t a war going on somewhere?
            This week every headline involves the Russians sending troops into neighbouring Ukraine, particularly the part of Ukraine called Crimea. Russia’s president Vladimar Putin sent in the soldiers to protect the citizens of Russian origin. I’m sure that it has been the goal of every Ukrainian cat to hunt down and kill every mouse of Russian ancestry.
            Does this remind us of anything? The years 1935-1940 for example in a different part of Europe? Hitler just had to protect those Germans in Czechoslovakia from being killed so he took over the whole country, with the help of Britain’s Neville Chamberlain who signed a paper saying Britain wouldn’t interfere if German took over the part called Sudetenland.
            After WW II was the Cold War, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, Iraq, Afghanistan, and in between those were dozens of minor wars – minor except to those getting killed – all over the world. Grenada, Panama, Israel, Timor, South Sudan, Arthurette Dance Hall, and yada yada yada.
            We were talking about all this at the club on Saturday evening; we just couldn’t see why people couldn’t get along. Of course, as usual, this all erupted in a bench-clearing brawl and I don’t mean at Maple Leaf Gardens. I guess it’s clearer to us now. Bring on the Russians! We’re next.
                                *****************************
            As one who used to do some carpenter work, I enjoy watching the Saturday evening shows on PBS, whose lack of commercial interruptions is quite pleasing. ‘This Old House’ and three other ones show us all kinds of modern methods to do the things we used to do over the course of hours compared to minutes now.
            I am amazed that computers can now be programmed to build a set of kitchen cupboards. All the carpenters have to do is, I suppose, duct-tape together the final product and spike it onto the kitchen walls. The computer tells the saws to cut a piece of plywood exactly the right size, and all the workers have to do is put the pieces together. Amazing.
            My question is this: If these guys can put together an entire set of kitchen cupboards and have everything fit, why did it take me seven hours to put together this barbecue I bought in a box at the hardware store? The directions were clear as can be – unless one spoke English – and there were only 38 parts missing. I guess I’m a schmuck.         
                                                -end- 

No comments: