Sunday 16 March 2014

Do I care about Olympic medals? (March 5/14)

Time to put away childish things?

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

            As I write this column, the first part of it at least, millions of Canadians have their eyes glued to their televisions – and don’t tell me THAT’S not painful – as they watch the Olympic men’s hockey gold medal game between Canada and Sweden.
            My eyes are not glued to the TV screen. Other than the stinging sensation that glue always gives the eyes, I simply don’t care which team – Canada or Sweden – wins the gold medal, as long as it’s not the good old U.S.A.
            Vindictive I know, unpatriotic I know, but there it is. Once the Canadian women beat the U.S.A. for the gold medal, and once the Canadian men beat the U.S.A. in the semi-final game, it was all over. “Don’t you agree, Flug?”
            “I fully agree, Bob. What were you saying?” I explained. “What? Are you crazy? We want those gold medals to hang around our necks so we can go through the border to Maine and brag.”
            “Yeah, Americans really appreciate it when you rub it in like that,” I said.  We argued for a while, with me winning the argument of course, by quoting from the Bible. This usually confuses Flug. “Go to First Corinthians chapter 13,” I said to the big guy. “When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I fought as a child, but when I became a man I put away childish things.”
            “Hockey is a childish thing,” I continued. “Time to put it away and turn to adult stuff, like lemonade and computer games such as Doom.”
            Folks, you realize I was kidding about not caring whether Canada won the gold medal, don’t you? My eyes are still stinging from that glue. Put down that rolling pin!
                                *****************************
            Other news from the world of rock and roll, later ‘rock ‘n’ roll’ and, as they call it now, rock. (After a while it will be ‘r’.) Here is or are the news: A singer who goes under the name of Tony Molina has put out an album called ‘Dissed and Dismissed’, and on that album is a song called ‘Change my Ways’ which is 72 seconds long. I do hope that’s a trend. Surely a songwriter can say everything that needs to be said in a minute and twelve seconds.
            Some people get their knickers in a windmill about this business of The Royal Family. Over the course of my six and a half decades I have often tried to analyze why people are so fascinated by this group of rather ordinary men and women and their somewhat expensive clothes. A few months back, the arrival of a new prince to parents William and Kate (as they are known) was the only thing on the news. On the other hand, it was better than hearing about Syria.
            Sometimes it’s a good thing to know a little of the Latin language - even though it was officially ‘dead’ when I was studying it in school - and sometimes it’s a bad thing. When dealing with my friend Flug, it’s often a bad thing.
            As many people know, the Latin phrase ‘ad hoc’ means ‘up to this moment’ or  that kind of thing. When I visited him on Wednesday morning, Flug was cooking a partridge stew and bragging about how good it was going to taste even though he knew I was and am a much better cook. (My Baloney Milanese is a gourmet treat.)
            Somehow or other, during the conversation I got to showing off my classical education and used the phrase ‘ad hoc’ but he thought I had said “Add hawk”. So here is Flug, late that afternoon, in early March, out in the field with his ancient .303 rifle and trying to shoot a hawk to put in his stew. I never knew how much he valued my opinion; apparently the rangers who took him away weren’t aware of it either.
                               ***********************************
            I began this column talking about organized sports, so I might as well make it a sandwich by ending it the same way.
            Is there any such thing these days as ‘unorganized sports’? That was a rhetorical question of course; certainly there are. Ever seen the Leafs play? Sorry, I couldn’t resist a slam against the Leafs who are, by the way, laughing all the way to the bank.
            It has often been said that kids’ sports these days are ‘way over-organized’. My cousin Elroy said that if a youngster wanted to play tiddly-winks or marbles there would have to be leagues organized for them. Oh wait, kids can’t play marbles any more; their thumbs have evolved so they can only ‘text-message’.

            Here’s my bottom line on the subject: You should have been at Veteran’s Field, Perth, on Saturday, February 6 to watch the hundreds of kids sliding, skating and just having fun. There was no league or association involved, just kids having fun. Remember that?
                                                   -end-

No comments: