Saturday 8 February 2014

Government spokesmen do not lie...much (Feb. 5 column)

Is it stupidity…or just plain lying?

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

            As I write these immortal words, the wind is howling outside and the snow is up to our upstairs windows. School is cancelled everywhere and the ditches are decorated with Mazdas and Fords – not Rob Ford, but useful Fords.
            Why do we put up with this kind of behaviour from the weathermen and shapely weatherwomen? (I’ve been watching the Weather Channel.) Why do we not all move to Costa Rica where everyone is rich and the sun shines all the time except at night when there is a little shower to make the gardens grow?
            I have a cold and I have cabin fever, even though our estate is considerably larger than a cabin. The last time I saw a snowplough was yesterday and I have a sneaking feeling that those government cutbacks in the snowploughing budget are now taking effect, although I have never seen a government cutback yet that resulted in a reduction of service. I’m sure you recognize sarcasm.
            Don’t you love those announcements from our beloved politicians? “Yes, we are closing 29 government facilities and laying off 582 workers, but this will not result in a reduction of service.” Of course there are only two choices if one were to describe the person making the announcement: stupid or lying, but I suppose, in a pinch, he or she could be both.
            I recall back in the early 1990s, when the federal government, under the stage name ‘Canada Post’, was closing post offices all over Canada – in Aroostook for example – and in each case insisting there wouldn’t be any reduction in service. Hmmmm…let’s say I lived in Aroostook and could walk to the post office to mail a parcel. Next day I have to drive to Perth. Reduction in service? Not at all, duh, you can still mail your parcel, can’t you?
            What brought on this rant was my daily newspaper’s headline on January 23: “Horizon Cuts Radiology Jobs”. Our old friend Horizon Health was eliminating 12 positions, only eight of which had actually been filled at the time. This, according to the HH bureaucrat who announced these job cuts in the X-ray departments, was going to save $500,000 annually, and was “not going to have a detrimental effect on wait times” and in fact would “streamline” things. Do they never get tired of uttering this drivel?
            Stupid or lying. Take your pick.
                                 *****************************
            Another newspaper report I was particularly struck by was one that didn’t involve government spokesmen, and I was pleased for the break. A story that came from the Canadian Press was reporting on a survey or poll that asked people how much money they need to have saved before they can retire comfortably.
            People in my tax bracket said they would be happy to have a dollar seventy-five and VISA payments of less than $100 a month, plus a low rent payment, plus the ownership of a car less than ten years old. While they said retiring to Florida was out of the question, perhaps south central Mexico (away from the tourist areas) might be possible if they laid off the tequila and kept the scorpion bites to a minimum.
            As the poll went up the ladder, people now making more than $30,000 a year thought they needed liquid assets of $200,000 to retire – if they had a pension – and that would be to the warm climes of Maine.
            What astounded me was that ‘average Canadians’ – and none of us will admit to being average – thought they needed $908,000 in investments to be able to retire. If they owned (free and clear as they say) a house in Vancouver, for example, they could retire as soon as they sold it. A bungalow on Davie Street would sell for $907,999 and the owner could find that other dollar on the sidewalk.
            Now we come to the ‘affluent’ Canadians. These are people whose annual income was in the $400,000-plus range. These folks felt that they needed assets and investments totalling $2.3 MILLION plus pensions in order to retire comfortably.
            I think I would have to look carefully at the word ‘comfortably’. Would they eat Vector cereal for breakfast at $7.50 a box, or Rice Krispies at $4.00? Would they have to drive a Lexus instead of a Taurus? Would they have to live in a penthouse over the Legion and drink only the finest wines? Why would anyone possibly need that much money just to retire and take a pension?

            Just before I started writing this column, I gave ‘cabin fever’ a good kick by going  uptown to buy a lottery ticket. The top prize is $2.5 million and I intend to win, this time. Never mind that, since the mid-1970s when I started buying lottery tickets, I have won the grand total of $156; I plan to win this lottery. The question is, what will I do with that extra $200,000?
                                         -end- 

No comments: