Sunday 2 February 2014

There's talk about legalizing Mary Jane (Jan. 29 column)

It’s easy to see I need a hobby

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

            At times I don’t have enough to do.
            Sitting in my favourite and most comfortable chair and sipping on a toddy of hot chocolate, lemonade and puréed blueberries, I started imagining what things would sound like if a person from 1968 (George) had a conversation with a person from 2014 (Cody).
            George: You know, I haven’t listened to my 8-track for at least a week…
            Cody: What?
            George: My 8-track, I said I hadn’t listened to it for a week. Are you deaf?
            Cody: That’s not politically correct you know, to say ‘deaf’. It’s hearing impaired. You don’t want to insult people do you?
            George: You mean deaf people would be insulted if I said they were deaf? They wouldn't hear me, would they?
            Cody: That’s right, and you must not use words like crippled, and be a little more sensitive about smoking around non-smokers.
            George: (Lighting an Export A cigarette) What’s wrong with smoking? Next thing you know, people won’t want you to smoke in their houses. Crazy! You people in 2014 sure are nutcakes. I would get my camera and take a picture of all the no smoking signs, but I’m all out of film.
            Cody: What’s film? Well, anyway, I hate to end this fascinating conversation, but I’m going out to look at new cars. The warranty is running out on our Toyota and we have to get a new one. The salesperson is waiting.
            George: How much do cars cost for you guys in 2014? Inflation’s taking hold here in 1968 and the price of a new Impala is up to $3200…what’s a Toyota? What's a warranty?
            Cody: Thirty-two hundred dollars? That wouldn’t buy the ashtray on a new full-size Chevvy. A bottom of the line Toyota car is $18,000 and if you want to get a hybrid or something like that, you’re talking over $30,000. A pickup truck – here’s a photo – is forty or fifty thousand.
            George: Dollars?
            Cody: Dollars. And if you parked one of today’s trucks alongside a truck you might drive in 1968 it would be three times as big.
            George: Yeah, but it would carry three times the load on the back. Wouldn’t it?
            Cody: It would not. So-called pickup trucks today – big as a gravel truck was in 1968 – have about two thirds the cargo space of my old 1971 GMC halfton. By the way, nobody does their own mechanic work in 2014. We have to take our cars and trucks to ‘automotive technicians’. The last mechanic work I did was putting windshield washer fluid in the tank by the motor. At least I think that was a motor; it’s all covered.
            George: Where did the mechanics all go? Are there still plumbers and carpenters? I suppose there’s a different name for electricians now. I’ll tell you something: If I was Chairman of the world, I –
            Cody: We don’t say chairman any more. It’s chairperson or just ‘chair’. We talk to furniture now and still think we’re sane. I got an email the other day “From the desk of so-and-so…”
            George: Whadya mean, he-male?
            Cody: No, it’s EMAIL. I write a letter on my computer keyboard and a second later my cousin in Vancouver reads it. I know, you’re thinking all I have to do is pick up my cellphone or if I wanted I could text her. I don’t –
            George: Are you saying you’re in jail? They let you have a phone in your cell? And what’s that you said about sexing your cousin over the phone? No wonder you’re in jail. It’s a gay life you lead there in 2014.
            Cody: Ahem…George, the word ‘gay’ has a different meaning now than it did in 1968; a lot of things are different. People pay extra for groceries that have Omega 3 in them, or probiotics, the price of gas is up to $1.30 –
            George: A dollar thirty a gallon! What kind of a salary do you make – when you’re not in jail - to afford that? And what’s Omega 3? A spaceship? Next you’ll be telling me that banks charge the customers for keeping their money even though the banks invest that money and make interest. I worked in a bank in Hamilton, so I know about banks.
            Cody: Let’s go back to the price of gas, George. It’s $1.30 a LITRE. So that would be…let me see, multiply by 4.55, subtract 27, take the square root of 91 and that would be…a lot. (I’m better at geography than math.) And banks, well they charge you for even breathing in their branch, mainly because they take the cost of oxygen out of the tellers’ salaries. And if it’s cold outside, say minus 20 Celsius, They charge –
            George: What kind of an animal is a Celsius? Is it like one of them little naugas that people make naugahyde furniture out of?
            Cody: (After checking a text message on his cellphone) I better get going, George. I’d call the Toyota place, but I’m running out of daytime minutes. Bye now.

            George: (To himself) I think I’ll stay here in the Sixties. There’s talk about legalizing marijuana.
                                                    -end- 

No comments: