Sunday 11 November 2018

Women walking = rain (Oct 17)



The good old days when times were bad

                                    by Robert LaFrance

            How times have changed from ‘the good old days’!
            Imagine yourself walking through the woods in 1975, seeing a beautiful (but legal) mushroom and stopping to take a photo of it with your phone, then telephoning your spouse to ask when supper would be ready. Then you send her, him or it the photo you just took.
            (Note: I say ‘mile’ because kilometres and the metric system hadn’t been invented yet. That was accomplished in 1977 by a guy named Joe Celsius, out Minto way.)
            Today, in the year 2018, we probably wouldn’t have been walking through the woods anywhere near that mushroom in the first place, for fear of deer ticks and terrible beasts we had been warned about on Facebook. We now carry a smartphone and bear spray at all times. Danger lurks more than one hundred feet from the house.
            Tim Horton’s and other fast-food drive-thrus have been around a long time and I often think that people go through those more out of habit than for a logical reason. In Andover last week I was standing and observing the progress on the new pot building when a chap driving a 1989 Gremlin stopped and dove into a box of Tim-Bits after spilling coffee on himself. He seemed to be agitated.
            “You seem to be agitated,” I said.
            “You would be too if you took half an hour to go through a drive-thru that’s supposed to make things more convenient,” he retorted, hands shaking from apparent lack of sustenance. A couple more Tim-Bits in rapid succession and he seemed to be okay, or at least better.
            “Why didn’t you just go into the restaurant itself?” I asked, knowing it was a dumb question but feeling as if I should ask it. Anybody will tell you I am a curious person and, as the phrase from ‘Alice in Wonderland’ goes, getting curiouser and curiouser.
            “Listen pal,” he said as he paused for 1.5 seconds. “Did you ever get caught in a drive-thru line?” I had to admit that I had never been in such an entity or conundrum. “It’s like a giant vise, squeezing, squeezing the life out of you – all for a coffee and some little doughnuts.”
            At this point I edged away, and kept edging until I was standing in line at the grocery store. Of course my line made more sense; I was buying Twinkies and chocolate milk for a snack instead of caffeine and unhealthy doughnuts.
            Another difference between then and now is that people do so blasted much walking. It seems as if every day dozens of people invade the walking trails, either those inside arenas or outdoors, and you can’t discourage them. There are even people from  Tilley, the place where I was born and allegedly grew up, who go down to Perth-Andover or up to Plaster Rock and take advantage of the walking trails inside the River Valley Civic Centre or the TobiquePlex as if they don’t have roads in Tilley.
            My late grandfather, Muff LaFrance (1881-1976) never failed to comment when he saw women strolling down the road. “Women walking means it’s going to rain.” he would say – every time, and I would listen patiently every time because he gave me money for hauling his drinking water from the spring and I didn’t want this revenue stream (so to speak) to dry up.
            What if he were around today and saw all the women out walking? “Gonna be a monsoon I guess.”
            Still on the subject of how things have changed, I am always amazed to see someone who I know has good tap water in his or her house hauling out a bottle of commercially bottled water, which, it has been proven, is no better than tap water. What a bunch of great sales people it must have taken to persuade people of this.
            Another multibillion-dollar industry nowadays is the pet food one. I had no idea when I was a kid that we were abusing our dog Rover by giving him meat and bread scraps. What a con job by that gaggle of sales people!
                                                *****************
            I am not the first to say this, but around here during deer hunting season (deer, partridge and wood), it’s like a shooting gallery.
            Our estate is on Manse Hill, at the southern end of the Scotch (I like bourbon myself) Colony and we get the warlike explosions all day, and, if I am going to tell the complete truth, all night. Although, as they say on 1960s TV detective shows, it could be a car backfiring. Born in 1948, I have heard approximately six cars backfire in my life. The only thing close to that sound has been the Chili Night aftermath at the camp.
            The Colony is a busy spot during the fall of any year. Pickup trucks – with and without trailers – go by here heading toward Bon Accord a dozen at a time and come back laden with stovewood, moose and deer. I always hope they don’t get confused: “Martha, throw another moose roast into the furnace, willya?”
                               -end-

No comments: