Sunday 11 November 2018

Egging on at Hallowe'en (Nov 14)



“If you don’t like the weather, wait a minute”

                                    by Robert LaFrance

            Some people actually like winter, and those people should be deported to Nunavut or the farthest reaches of the Northwest Territories. Perhaps Mars.
            As for me, my mind goes all kablooey when the snow and blustery weather starts, like yesterday. I got up about 8:00 am and went downstairs to find that the wind had blown open the door between the kitchen and the shed and it was about ninety below in there. It was a Monday of course.
            Then there was the matter of opening the can of dogfood. The dog Minnie’s food comes in one of those no-name ones, the paper on the can coloured yellow, and right beside it in the cupboard was a can the same size and colour - Pineapple tidbits.
            Do I need to say any more? I blame it on the impending winter. My brain had already started to shrink.
            It is said about the Maritimes, if you don’t like the weather, wait a minute. Forget that old saying. Winter is here, and waiting a minute ain’t going to help.
                                                *********************
            I thought I had heard every story there was having to do with Hallowe’en night but there was one I missed.
            The stories I was involved in usually had to do with throwing rotten tomatoes at my cousin’s car as he passed by our house on his way to church or somewhere equally GOOD, or maybe watching one of my criminal pals calling the police with a complaint about noise being made by some 89-year-old lady somewhere.
            The story I am about to tell you about occurred in the mid-1960s but I just heard it last week. A young chap (my age then but somehow younger now) from Aroostook was telling me about The Great Hallowe’en Egg Caper. The story goes to show just what kind of preparations some people were willing to make just for a prank.
            There are lots of stories about young scamps, so to speak, climbing up on top of the bridge from Perth to Andover (It became Perth-Andover in November 1966) and tossing eggs down onto the windshields of passing cars whose drivers and passengers were not pleased at the job they had to do when they got home. I never heard of one of these high-level hoodlums being caught, but if I had been in an egged car I would not have chased the egg pitchers around the scaffolding of that bridge. Concrete is hard on the head come October 31.
            To get to the story I just heard, my friend Steve (or so we’ll call him) said that he and his pal Owney (ditto) would go to Perth after dark three or four times in the days just before Hallowe’en, borrow a ladder from Charley Willett’s ESSO station next to the Bank of Montreal, and take up three or four dozen eggs each time to the roof of the bank, now called BMO.
            “We had a great time,” recalled Steve last week, “and we never did get caught. We egged a thousand cars in those three years or so. We egged police cars, threw eggs at dogs and cats who were so stupid they stopped to lick up the eggs, and we egged Father Ronny’s Jeep. He stopped right there – not a good move – and started swearing but he didn’t know who to swear at. So Heaven rained down a few more eggs on him. See you later.”
            That’s not the end of the story. A few minutes later retired police officer George Pattersine came out of the library. “I see you were talking to Steve and he was pointing to the roof of the bank. I’ll bet he was talking about throwing eggs from up there onto cars, people and animals.” I didn’t say anything. Discretion is my middle name, which sometimes confuses my relatives.
            “He thought we didn’t know anything about him and young Owney doing that,” George continued, “but we knew exactly who it was. Not at first, but the last time they did it. My constable, who later became a judge, figured it out that time and sneaked out and hid their ladder. It was cold that night too. They didn’t get down until Charlie Willett came to work the next morning.”
                                    *********************************
            Moving away from the subject of Hallowe’en for another year, several people have commented on my new hunter’s orange coat with the reflective white tape. I am not sure why they felt the need to comment on my personal attire, but there it is.
            A few days after my new coat arrived I was talking to my wife’s friend Mona who commented that, at last, someone could truthfully say that I am bright. I appreciated the thought that went into that remark.
            Another comment I appreciated was from a (former) friend of mine, who said I must have the only coat visible from the moon. One of the few man-or-woman-made objects like that, along with the Great Wall of China and Donald Trump’s mouth.
                                -end-

No comments: