Sunday 11 November 2018

Gremlin snow tires (Oct 31)



Explaining ‘textual intercourse’

                                    by Robert LaFrance

            My youngest nephew Zack, just turned 12, came home from school one day when I happened to be at his house and told his mother Zelda that he had learned a new phrase in school that day.
            “Textual intercourse,” he said proudly.
            Zelda and Zack’s father Zeros Polanimus almost fell off their chairs, but I, proudly displaying my classical education, said: “It just means sending text messages or even writing to each other.”
            In other vital news from southern Victoria County, those folks who work at Lower Kilburn Garage thought they had seen everything until the Perfessor, my old friend who lives up the road, brought his Gremlin in to get the winter tires put on after the recent and unexpected late October snowstorm.
            “Good day to you all!” he said to old Ben Kilburn, the proprietor and his manly staff. “I’m all set for winter except that my tires aren’t quite up to snuff, so to speak.” Ed Greely looked at the car and then the tires and spoke the words “racing slicks”, which are of course almost smooth tires used in drag racing.
            “How long will it take?” asked the Perfessor and Ed replied that half an hour should do it, and then asked if the winter tires were in the Gremlin’s trunk because they weren’t visible in the back seat or on the roof.
            “Winter tires?” said the Perfessor in a baffled voice. “They’re down home in my shed.” It took Ben and Ed quite a while to explain that in order to put on the Gremlin’s winter tires they would need them to be in the actual garage, that is the garage where Ben and Ed work.
            To cut this story from long to quite long, I will summarize: The Perfessor drove home and got the four winter tires that turned out to be ones from his neighbour Stephen’s Dodge Ram and were a little large for the Gremlin. Then the Perfessor remembered some tires out behind his house and went to get them, but they were 14-inch tires and not the required 13-inch ones.
            Six hours later the Perfessor drove away smiling but Ben and Ed were quaking, shaking hulks, nerves shot. “I should have charged him $300, said Ben, “but I didn’t have the heart.”
            I forgot to mention that the Perfessor drove away in Ben’s 1999 Lumina and not his own Gremlin which had fallen into pieces when they jacked it up on the hoist.
                                                **********************
            Some more comments from my pocket notebook:
            Listening to a CBC Radio program on Sunday morning, I heard that the recent legalization of marijuana had given the town of Smith Falls, Ontario, new economic hope because their new pot store was expecting a profit of $2 million this year and had hired 24 workers. On the way to this information, the announcer referred to the place as “a sleepy little town” because its population was only 8800.
            Who decides if a town should be called ‘sleepy’? If I were a resident of Smith Falls I would bristle if someone called my community sleepy. Is it a function of population? As someone who has visited Perth-Andover, Plaster Rock and Aroostook – not to mention Ernfield, Saskatchewan, I can’t say that any one of them should be called sleepy. I lived in Hamilton five years – population 320,000 at that time – and quite often I could have called it sleepy while nearby Caledonia was a going concern.
            In other words, radio announcers, quit calling communities ‘sleepy’ until you’ve slept there a few times.
            Changing the subject slightly, I was thinking this morning as I got out some milk for my breakfast cereal that the manufacture of fridge magnets is a significant industry. On our old Kenmore are approximately 47 items held on by fridge magnets which must have cost at least a few pennies each.
            Suppose Canada has 19,000,000 households and each house or apartment has a fridge and each fridge has 47 magnets on it, how much would that amount to in dollars and cents?
            Being me, I couldn’t resist dragging out my calculator and figuring it out. Let me see…47 x 2 cents x 19,000,000. That total is $17,860,000. Imagine!
            Moving on to yet another subject – I have a short attention span – it has become clear to me over the years that I am weird, which, if you have money, is called ‘eccentric’. Not having any money, I’m weird. Not to be confused with ‘wired’ which uses the same letters.
            The best illustration of my weirdness can be found in my garage. (I won’t blame my wife for any of this.) We have a 2-bay garage where we actually park our vehicles when we’re both home. Hear that? We put our vehicles inside our garage and don’t use it for a storage shed while leaving the two cars outside in the weather. Weird.
            In a few days the Americans will be voting in their mid-term elections. Please, please let the Democrats win control of at least the house. I really want to find out what Donald Trump is hiding in his income tax returns.
                                       -end-

No comments: