Thursday 30 March 2017

Hitler's favourite book - mein column? Feb. 22


DIARY

What to do with my encyclopediae?

                        by Robert LaFrance

            First off, I have no idea – and don’t want to learn – what the plural is of the word ‘encyclopedia’, as in Britannica. The important point is, I have two of them and have no idea how to get rid of them now that the whole world except Flug has gone digital.
            One is a 1939 version and refers to Adolph Hitler as ‘a Bavarian politician’ and the other is of 1981 vintage. I bought the earlier one at a yard sale somewhere, but for the second one I paid through the nose (That doesn’t sound very sanitary, does it?) in 1981, which makes sense. Hitler was described somewhat differently in that one.
            I have started reading Hitler’s favourite book, Mein Kampf, which outlines his plan for world domination in clear prose, much as a certain U.S. politician did last year, but I guess the difference would be that Hitler didn’t change his mind every time the wind changed direction in Berlin.
            Back to the encyclopediae, I would like to get rid of them to a willing buyer, preferably someone who likes to read. That’s important you know. Just a warning though: the 1939 edition has some slight water damage. If it had been worse Hitler would probably have hailed from Minto.
                                                **********************
            Here are a few idle comments gleaned from the notebook I carry with me always, even in the bath, if I ever took one.
            I’m kidding. I took my February bath only last week.
            First subject: What is your definition of a friend? Is it someone who will support you – but not necessarily agree – whatever your views or however much lemonade you have imbibed? Is it someone who doesn’t forget you even though you sometimes forget him or her? I think my friend would tell me if my fly were down just as I go up to make an important speech to the Perth Elks, or tell me about the spinach between my teeth or about the small piece of material caught on my nose. We should always clean up after a nasal battle.
            I have another little note here; I wrote U-s-a. Now why would I make a note of those three letters? It’s a little general (not referring to Napoleon) because that huge country to our south has a millions subjects to discuss.
            Then I remembered. Back in the 1950s and 1960s, people here in North America used to buy things made in Japan, which was a synonym for “cheap junk”. This was long before the Japanese decided to start making quality products that actually lasted. (I have high hopes for our Toyota Corolla.)
            The reason I had the entry ‘Usa’ in my notebook was because it referred to a small city on the island of Kyushu, Japan. Many manufacturers moved there so they could put the words ‘Made in USA’ on their products to be sold here in North America. If you don’t believe me, look it up on Google.
            New subject: We have been hearing for a long time about a ‘carbon tax’ or ‘the cap and trade system’ and I can count on the fingers of one foot the number of persons who can define those phrases. Finally, as Yogi Berra would say, I looked it up somewhere. I think the first phrase means that industries (or cattle that contribute methane) that pollute have to pay, which means WE pay. The same goes for the other phrase, which means we all have to go ‘cap in hand’ to the welfare office.
                                                *************************
            Other notes:
            I used to have a cell phone, or a cellphone if you prefer. A few years ago I bought a ‘smartphone’ which indeed is much smarter than the cellphone was. Now I have a problem. When I refer to my phone, I feel a little arrogant when I call it a smartphone, especially if I am talking to someone with a mere cellphone. I think I’ll just say ‘mobile phone’ now.
Three days ago I pulled in to a gas station in the city and one of those huge ‘pickup’ trucks pulled in at the other side of the two pumps. The driver quickly filled the truck and went inside to pay tribute. He had gone by the time I went inside to pay because, of course, I had been talking. My bill was $136.23. Something wrong somewhere. I didn’t think the Toyota took that much gas. I guess I’ll go see Clyde at the garage.
Last evening on the game show Jeopardy, one of the big winners, Lisa Schlitt, a microbiologist, was beaten out after winning $139,000, but something didn’t add up there either, just as it had not at the gas pump. I looked at her standing beside Alex Trebeck and other contestants and, although she had been introduced as a microbiologist, she didn’t look any smaller than the others.
                                                  -end-

No comments: