Monday 13 February 2017

I blame Donald Trump for EVERYTHING (Feb. 15)


DIARY

When New Brunswickers have power outages…

                        by Robert LaFrance

            A few years ago, maybe as many as ten (the time goes so fast!), the power here went off one windy August day and didn’t come back on until 54 hours later. That was not fun, but I can’t even imagine, and don’t want to, going two weeks without power as some households on the North Shore did.
            I blame Donald Trump.
            There is no reason in the world for blaming Donald Trump for an ice storm in eastern New Brunswick, but I’m finding that everybody else blames him for everything bad that happens.
            A pothole in Cabano, PQ, bends the wheel and rim of a 1988 Gremlin. Blame Donald Trump. A Baptist minister in Ernfold, Saskatchewan left his car headlights on all night and ran down his battery. Blame Donald Trump. I think it’s great. Before he came along I would have blamed myself for leaving my show shovel where a car could run over it, but now…? Blame Donald Trump. He must have distracted me.
                                                *************************
            As I write this important column, schools all over the province are closed because we had a whack of snow, freezing rain, ice pellets, tornadoes, monsoons, etc. and they sure needed to be closed. However, not everyone thinks so.
            “Them kids need to learn, the same as I had oughtoo learn when I went to school,” said Flug’s cousin Clyde when he heard that the school buses (or busses if you prefer) wouldn’t be running today. “Youse can’t make a difference in society if youse don’t go to school.”
            I have a son and a daughter in the NB education system and I’ll tell you what:  When I turned on the radio at 6:00 this morning and heard that school was cancelled, I rejoiced. While it is possible that they could be injured or worse in their own driveways, it’s not as likely as it would be if they were fighting ice pellets etc. on the Trans Canada Highway. Good work, whoever in the school district made that call.
            In this world, the spectrum of brain power that individuals possess comes somewhere between moron and genius and I don’t know where on that spectrum Clyde is perched. And…duh…don’t even bother wondering about me. I – and Donald Trump – were the ones who left the snow shovel where someone could run over it.
                                                ************************
            I don’t often comment in these pages about current political issues, but I must criticize Prime Minister Trudeau for not doing more about alternate voting systems. After all, world powers like Burundi, Guyana and Kosovo use the proportional representation system, so why can’t we?
            Joking aside, I can’t figure out why the federal government didn’t make more of an effort to find – or at least study – other systems that may work here. The thing would have gone to a referendum anyway, right?
                                                *************************
            I hate cross-country skiing, absolutely despise it. And if I ever tried it I would probably hate it even more.
            Were I to get up in the morning and say: “What a nice day! I think I’ll strap some boards into my shoes and go out into the field to frolic!” would that really sound like me?
            I’m kidding you a bit. Back in the 1980s, I used to cross-country ski with Gary Smith who was at that time a resident of Birch Ridge where I owned an estate – fifty acres of land and a pretty solid one-and-a-half storey house. Maggie of Maggie’s Falls fame lived there at one time.
            One day Gary came over to my estate and suggested we go cross-country skiing. Since Donald Trump wasn’t there to protect me from my own folly, I agreed to go on this mad journey – after we had drowned a couple of bottle each of lemonade.
            It wasn’t too bad – in fact it was quite fun – for a while until we came to the top of a hill. There was a ski trail and although it was quite steep, I knew I could negotiate (as hockey announcers say) it without too much trouble.
            Boy, was I wrong! Halfway down I was yearning for some kind of braking system. The firs and maples were zooming by and I soon realized I was going to cross over to another world if I didn’t do something drastic. Gary was waiting for me at the bottom but I didn’t get there. I dove into the snow and rolled over a few times, my skis flying into the woods.
            Eventually I did get to the bottom and pointed down the trail. “How do we get home?” To my dismay though, that trail ended there. “We’re doomed!” I cried. He pointed to the hill we had just ‘negotiated’. That was the only way back home. I think it was Thursday morning by the time we returned.
                                                     -end-
               I hate Gary Smith.

No comments: