Monday 13 February 2017

There are only 'alleged' killers now (Feb. 1)



DIARY

Sex and violence? Or sects and violins?

                        by Robert LaFrance

            My friend Flug is a bit of a prude and any of his 17 (or is it 18?) wives would agree with that assessment.
            We were walking down to the club one night last week when a blue Ford pickup truck came slowly up the hill. On the back were three young, nubile-looking (I think that means sexy or ‘hot’ as they say) women, and Flug was outraged at their dress or lack of it.
            “Girls nowadays don’t know how to dress,” he roared. “Don’t they realize they’re acting like fallen women?”
            “Geez Flug,” I said. “As soon as I get back to the house and the Internet, I am going to write The Language Maven website and tell them that Queen Victoria is still alive. That’s the way people talked in Victorian times.”
            He just mumbled something and then we looked up the road where one of the women had fallen off the truck and had rolled into the ditch. We started running up to help her, but she got up laughing. She looked right at Flug and said: “Well hello!” and when I saw him smile I knew I was looking at wife #18 (or is it 19?).
            Imagine, Flug marrying a fallen woman…she might even be a strumpet and a harlot.
                                                *************************
            It doesn’t matter where I turn, there is the ubiquitous Donald Trump.
            I tuned in to the Mensa Network this morning to hear the voice of the U.S. president who was lecturing the interviewer, and apparently was doing it in Latin, a language I had studied in school.
            “It’s summum bonum that we have to look at,” he was saying. “The highest good for the greatest number. I say we get to work on that wall right away and quit talking about the size of the crowd at my inauguration. Size matters, but it summum bonum in the end.”
            Then the announcer’s voice came on: “And that is an example of what Donald Trump will do for America during his first few weeks in office. He plans to put in a new wall between his Oval Office in the White House and the Secret Service offices. Dominus vobiscum. May the Lord be with you, Donald.”
                                                ****************************
            I really think that some people should leave the humour business – especially puns – to those who are well trained in it.
            I refer to CBC Radio News reporter Shane Fowler, who recently did a story on a gathering of 10,000 to 15,000 crows that have been hovering around downtown Fredericton when, in other years, they set up housekeeping all winter at the UNB woodlot up the hill. Since the collective noun for a group of crows is ‘murder’ he referred to ‘this large murder of crows’ that had moved from downtown back up the hill to the UNB woods.
No one he had spoken to, scientists or sidewalk theorists, could account for this sudden uprooting of birds from the downtown. To sum up, he said:  “It is a murder mystery that may never be solved”.
                                    *************************
As a freelance journalist, I write for publications all over the place. I have even had a photo in Newsweek magazine (April 1983, of former jockey Ron Turcotte) and usually the editors and I don’t talk much, but on Tuesday I received an email from an editor in Manitoba. He said I should use the word ‘alleged’ a lot more.
“For example,” he said, “if you were reporting on the Whitechapel killings in London in 1888, you should say: Jack the Ripper, the ALLEGED killer, and you shouldn’t even use the name Jack because the killer – I mean alleged killer - may actually be named Jack and you would influence the jury by using that name.”
“Don’t you mean the ALLEGED jury?” I asked. “We have no proof that those twelve good men and true are the jury, or just people who came in off the street to use the washroom.”
“Well, I…”
“And furthermore,” I said, “maybe some of them are called Jack, and then the finger of suspicion would point at them. How could a jury of Jacks convict a prisoner named Jack?”
                                    ***********************
It used to be, when I was growing up, that when we took a job with a big company, one could reasonably expect to live out his working days getting a paycheque from that same company. That has all changed now. I saw a recent TV ad that referred to a company that had been ‘serving Canadians since 2002.”
That’s why I was so surprised this morning when I ran across the name of a Vancouver company I used to work for when I lived out there. (I guess that’s logical enough.) Russell Food Equipment, where I enjoyed many a happy lunch hour trading quips with my co-workers, is still going strong and is indeed flourishing. Very unusual.
                                                 -end-

No comments: