Thursday 30 March 2017

Let's try rim-less basketball (March 29/17)



DIARY

The Queen is coming to Scotch Colony!

                        by Robert LaFrance

            Looking at the calendar this morning, I noticed that it was spring already. That winter certainly flew by, didn’t it?
            Well no, it didn’t. Although at my advanced age the time fairly zooms by, that winter we just endured did not. I just hope spring doesn’t arrive too soon; the residents of Perth-Andover know what I mean by that.
            As I mentioned in a recent column, I can now see some of the soil of my front garden even as I type these timeless words. I can picture where a few short rows of radish, lettuce, and beets will be, and a large bed of Touchon and Chantenay carrots. Just over there by the rhubarb patch will be some Caribe potatoes – unless I decide to plant another, earlier, variety like Eramosa.
            To make a radical shift in the subject of this column – people say ‘quantum leap but like me they don’t know what they are talking about – I want to change to pro basketball: I am not a fan of that game that hurts the neck to watch, but occasionally when I am too lazy to change the channel I will look in on an NBA game.
            When I was a kid and after my brother bought a 21” black-and-white television (for a mere $550 in 1961) I used to watch the Boston Celtics and their great players Bob Cousy, Bill Russell, Tom Heinsohn and others; I never ONCE saw one of those players perform a dunk shot and then hang onto the rim. Not once.
            Now it seems that the players do it after almost any shot, or when they just feel like hanging around.
            Here’s my idea to put an end to this very annoying habit: Fine any player who does that one thousand dollars. Even if that were only two minutes salary for those guys, after a while it would make a bit of a hole in their income. Enough so they would have to vacation in Minto rather than Aruba.
            The reason I used to watch Boston Celtics was that in the early days of TV in my area of Victoria County we could only get two channels – WAGM in Presque Isle and CHSJ in Saint John. After a time we could get the ‘educational’ channel that is now PBS or MPBN, but for sports we pretty much had to watch WAGM.
            Therefore, when I watched baseball, I had to watch the Boston Red Sox whose big names were Ted Williams (who often fished in northern New Brunswick), Jackie Jensen, Carl Yastrzemski, Vic Wertz, and two guys with wonderful names – Rip Repulski and Pumpsie Green. Imagine going through life with the name Rip Repulski! There was even a pitcher named Gene Conley who played in the NBA in the baseball off-season. I’ll bet he didn’t grab the rim and hang on like a mindless mule. By the way, he played the Celtics.
                                                ***********************
            Back to the present, I hate to say anything nice about anybody, but I must say I certainly admire Queen Elizabeth II who, at the age of 164, is still going. I was about to say ‘going strong’, but the patient and longsuffering readers of this column can only be asked to believe so much.
            Her husband, Phil, is also still going at the age of about 168, but he’s starting to show his age. I had a car like that once, a 1961 Falcon. It looked great for years but after I hit that hydro pole in Drummond, it started going downhill. Literally.
            Back to good Queen Bessie, I tuned in to BBC-TV last evening to see the Royal One opening a new shopping centre in Bolton, which is just outside Manchester, the home of my favourite football (soccer) team, Manchester United.
            The announcer was saying that the queen rarely opened shopping malls any more,  but this particular one covered about fifty hectares and had 1200 stores, even bigger than West Edmonton Mall. So she wasn’t really opening a shopping centre; it was a city.
            Here in Victoria County, New Brunswick, named for another queen long ago, we don’t get many visits from British Royalty, but that is soon going to change. My friend Flug, unbeknownst to me, started an email correspondence with QEII back in the fall, and, would you believe, he has persuaded her to come over to the Scotch Colony and Tilley this summer to officially open two new pubs, the Colony Arms and North Tilley Pub, the latter built on the site of the now demolished Block X School where I had so much fun in my youth.
            Asked how he had managed to persuade the queen to come over and lend her prestige to what might not be considered important businesses, Flug said: “Well, I may have slightly exaggerated the size of the two enterprises.” I didn’t ask any more questions. It remains to be seen what her reaction will be this summer when she gets here.
                                -end-

No comments: