Thursday 30 March 2017

I wasn't lying about Flug (March 15/17)



DIARY

The last 2016 apple is now a memory

                        by Robert LaFrance

            Believe it or not, it’s sometimes a sad thing to eat an apple, particularly if it’s almost spring and the apple you’ve just eaten is the last one from the crop of the fall before.
            Because my Macfree apples were the ones that kept the longest, I saved them until the last. Anybody who knows anything about apples knows that McIntosh are among the first to suffer the ravages, and Cortlands, while fairly long keepers, do not hold a candle to Macfrees. Novamacs are good too. Both are allegedly from the original McIntosh, but neither has the slightest resemblance to it, except for being spherical.
            I started my orchard in 1986, two years after we bought this estate from the United Church. It was the house the ministers lived in over the years, and I did my best to continue upholding their traditions.
            (“You mean their use of certain words?” asked Flug, who had been looking over my should as I typed this trenchant text.)
            The first two trees I planted, ones bought from a nursery in Fredericton, were McIntosh and Cortland, and they turned out to be two of my worst mistakes. Trees of those types are HIGHLY susceptible to scab. If you don’t know what scab is, the name tells it all.
            Hundreds of trees later (I usually have about 80 trees blossom each May although I once had close to 400) I know better. Since I started full-time work in 2002, I haven’t had time to care for them, so to speak, and many have passed on. Deer and bears have ruined more.
            Back to the point, eating that last 2016 apple, the Macfree, gave me a sense of nostalgia, but then what doesn’t when you’re old like me?
                                                *************************
            Not to actually have a column without mentioning Donald Trump, the original Wild Man of the City, I was recently impressed by his second try to ban Muslims from the hallowed shores of the U.S.A.
            It seems he actually had lawyers look at this one. However, it’s already had casualties. He took Iraq off that famous list of seven countries and it was personal. It turned out that one of his old pals from his days in New York, Ned Amalfi, had somehow got caught up in that first 1930s Germany-type sweep, and had gotten sent back to Iraq.
            So Trump took Iraq off the list. One of Trump’s aides asked why, and ‘The Donald’ said: “It’s because of Iraq Ned,” whereupon the aide, who has a deadly fear of spiders, fainted. He thought Trump had said ‘arachnid’. Talk about unintended consequences!
            Not to spend too much time on U.S. politics, but I should mention to those who have often asked me who my friend Flug (Richard LaFrance, no relation) is, that there really was a Flug. I just heard of him yesterday. He was Jim Flug who was prominent in 1970s Washington as a lobbyist and generally a friend of Senators. You can Google ‘James Flug’.
                                                *************************
            As spring – or as I call it, SPRING! – approaches, I am eager to get fishing in the local streams as well as some in foreign countries like Upper Kintore, Leonard Colony and Carlingford.
            The famous English dictionary guy, Dr. Samuel Johnson (1709-1784), had an opinion about fishing and it didn’t quite agree with mine. He lets the catfish out of the bag with his definition of a fishing rod. It is “a stick with a hook at one end and a fool at the other”.
            Someone else who really enjoys brook fishing is my friend Angus P. Pielder, an actor who recently completed a successful run with his one-man play (“The Man who Didn’t Care”) about former NB Premier Bernard Lord.
            That fact that Premier Lord dropped the least amount of asphalt and chipseal ever to have occurred or not occurred in a (blessedly short) 4-year mandate, figures prominently in the play.
            Angus wasn’t being humorous though, when he called on Friday. Although he rarely watches TV, he said that he had just finished ‘viewing’ (that’s how actors talk) a car commercial that started out showing the sentence “real people, not actors”.
            “I’m a real people, aren’t I Bob?” he moaned. Then he launched into Shylock’s monologue from the Shakespeare play Merchant of Venice, ending with: “…if you prick me, do I not bleed?”
            Having seen him curse when he lost fish, I agreed that he was in fact a real people, but, I told him, his cause would gain a little more credibility if he didn’t launch into Shakespeare every whipstitch.
            “You’re right Bob,” he said. “I will watch that. It is a far, far better thing I do than I have ever done.” And with that Charles Dickens quote from A Tale of Two Cities, he took a bow over the phone and thanked me for being a good audience.
                                              -end-

No comments: