Monday 3 October 2016

Yellow letters on a sign - wrong! (Oct 5)


DIARY

The ‘ancient right’ to drive

            by Robert LaFrance

            Every year at this time I observe an anniversary and send a sympathy card to the residents of Alert, Nunavut. I know you’re sick and tired of my talking about it, but I’m old, so indulge me please.
When I lived up there in 1974-5 for 54 consecutive weeks it was in Northwest Territories. Somewhere along the line the government moved that armed forces base and weather station into Nunavut. They must have floated it down the Davis Strait.
The anniversary to which I refer occurs every year on October 9th or thereabouts, not to be too accurate. The sun goes down for the winter and is not seen again until March 4 – or thereabouts.
On October 9, 1974, after I had been stationed at Alert for five months, all of us weather guys (there were no women stationed at Alert in those days) poured glasses of champagne, otherwise known as Labbatt’s Blue beer, and went outside to pay tribute to that departing sun, as it rose and set in about ten minutes, just the top edge, and we went back inside to watch reruns of the detective show ‘Cannon’. The weather service used to send videotapes of these and other action shows (Mannix, Baretta, etc.) to us. They arrived every Thursday morning in an armed forces C-130 Hercules.
So there we were, sitting in the lounge and thinking about the next five months without the sun. Looking at each other, I’m sure we were all thinking: “This crowd is no replacement for the sun.”
We made it though, but some of us had to cheat to do it. In January, when it was in the –45ºF range outside all day (I mean night) the armed forces C-130s began their fuel run from Thule, Greenland, and for a week the Hercules flew back and forth bringing in fuel oil for us and the army base. Midway through that week I asked one of the pilots if I could tag along on one run and he said sure.
The next afternoon I was in the big turboprop plane and surrounded by black rubber bladders that would be filled with oil in Greenland. “Brace yourself for this, Bob,” the co-pilot said, just before takeoff. In a few minutes we were airborne and pointed toward the north pole, 450 nautical miles away, but of course we would turn back south soon. When we got up a few thousand feet there it was, the best treat of the winter.
Here comes the sun. Hello, old friend.
                                    ****************************
            Staying with the colour yellow and now back in Victoria County, NB, yesterday I was driving along uptown and when I saw a sign at the end of a street. At the top it said “Yard Sale” in fairly large black letters. Underneath those words was…nothing.
            As I got closer, I could see that there had been some kind of attempt to relay information to the drivers going by, but it was a stretch. As I got closer I saw that the letters were yellow and therefore unreadable. Why do people put yellow lettering on a sign they want other people to read? I may be wrong, but if I were putting out a sign like that, I would almost certainly step back fifty feet, a hundred feet, or even more to see if the message was getting out. Yellow’s okay for the sun but not for signs.
            On the subject of Ireland, I know someone, a resident of the very house in which I live, who just got back from a week and a half from Dublin and points east, west, south and north. She took some photos.
            When I say she took some photos, I mean SHE TOOK SOME PHOTOS with her digital camera. A total of 292. Of course it’s my job as a professional photographer to edit and crop these photos – try to make sense of the ones that make no sense. Most are good photos (I have to live here after all) but a few of them border on the bizarre. I thought Mackenzie King and W. B. Yeats were dead, but there they are, reflected on the window of a Tim Hortons in Donegal, Ireland.
                                    *************************
            Reading a book entitled ‘English History 1914-1945’ I was interested to find out, on page 302, that that in 1920 there were 200,000 motor vehicles registered in that country and that driving tests weren’t compulsory until 1934. Even so, people who had been driving for a long time did so under what was called an ‘ancient right’ and didn’t have to take a test.
            It all reminded me of a story my late Aunt Ella told me in the 1980s. She was standing near Jimmy Stewart’s furniture story in Perth where a police officer, who had been following an old lady, stopped and asked for her driver’s licence. She replied: “Young man, I’ve been driving since 1928 and never heard of such a thing!”
                                                -end-

No comments: