Monday 3 October 2016

Watch those curly light bulbs (Aug. 31)


DIARY

Flug’s problem with an Ottawa woman

                        by Robert LaFrance

            Every once in a while, like the rest of us, my friend Flug says something intelligent.
            “It won’t last,” he warned me, as if I were expecting more. As registered males of the human race, we are dull as dishwater, except for occasional flashes of mediocre thought, or, in this case, brilliance.
            Flug was relating a story about telling a lie and having it come back at him like cucumbers or radish. The lie occurred several years ago when he told a lady in Ottawa that he was the owner of a trucking company in New Brunswick. Remembering that, she wrote to Flug in Tilley (he lives in Kincardine now, but we can always count on Canada Post) that she was coming for a visit, perhaps a long visit. It wouldn’t take her long to realize that Flug’s ‘trucking company’ was a 1999 Ford F150 with lots of rust.
            “What will I do?” he moaned. “She’s on her way here and she is going to shoot me.” I was thinking that he deserved shooting, for that lie and many others, but I was and am his friend.
            “I’d say shooting is the least of your worries,” I commented. “What about Roseanne?” That was and is his wife, either the 16th or 17th. “When she answers the door and it answers back with this Ottawa woman, you are going to be in the deepest of doo-doo ever seen in these parts. Have you thought about going on a sudden vacation?”
            He hadn’t, but ruled that out because he was in the middle of a business deal involving the purchase of another trucking company, a 2006 Ford F150 whose asking price was $1500. We talked for a while and didn’t come up with anything, but figured Ottawa wouldn’t be there for at least two days. “We gotta come up with SOMETHING,” he said. Where he found the WE he didn’t say.
            This is when he said something intelligent. “You know Bob, telling a lie is like chicken pox. It doesn’t seem like much at the time, but you look around five or ten or thirty years later and bazooka! You’ve got shingles which is the chicken pox coming back to hit you with a stick. If only you hadn’t gotten chicken pox in the first place.”
                                    *************************
            On to an entirely different subject (and leaving Flug to sort out his own shingles) I was sitting in my office earlier today and working on this very column when the light in my office started flickering. After four or five minutes of this, the bulb started to make a buzzing sound after which I leapt (if one can leap at age 68) to the switch and turned it off.
            Of course five minutes later I forgot about this and went back to my office. When I turned on the light it made an even louder buzz and crackle. After once more turning it off, I went to the downstairs cupboard and got a 60W incandescent bulb. I specify because the one that made the noise was one of those curly fluorescent bulbs, you know, the ones that were the answer to all our ecological prayers a few years ago. We would do away with the incandescent ones and live happily ever after because these ones would each last 20,000 hours and take half the power. And Goldilocks was a nice little girl except for her minor problem of being a food thief.
            For the reader’s information, the curly-fries bulb was the Noma brand, made in China. Asking around, I have found that those bulbs made in China have caused many a problem including worry because they contain mercury.
            So I decided to change all our house lighting to LEDs (light emitting diodes) and went to the hardware store which is located right near Jim’s Pool Hall and behind the club. I looked at the price tag - $4,320. I said to the clerk: “So how many LED bulbs does that buy?” He gave me an odd look and said it was only the down payment on one bulb.
Now where did I put those candles?
                                    *************************
               One of the Olympics events reminded me of the Victorian era in England. In the late 19th century, people were urged to refrain from saying words like ‘leg’ because it was risqué, so they had to refer to a table ‘limb’. In Rio one of the events was the ‘women’s breaststroke’. Times have changed. I don’t know how many Victorian heart attacks would have been caused by women’s beach volleyball. I’m still recovering.
            By the way, the Ottawa woman who was headed this way phoned Flug (Richard LaFrance, no relation) Saturday evening and said she’d just met the love of her life in Cabano and was going back with him to Fort MacMurray. Just so you know.
                                          -end-

No comments: