Saturday 29 October 2016

Those foot racers are fanatics (Oct. 19)



DIARY

I have finally cleaned my office

            by Robert LaFrance

            Some expressions are beyond the pale, as it were, but some are right on the mark.
 Try driving sometime when my friend Flug is behind the wheel. “He (or she) is driving me crazy!” I have heard people say, but last week, because of a foot injury, I had to ask Flug to drive me to the grocery store. Next time, I take a taxi, or even a limousine service, even though the nearest one is 132 kilometres away.
            I didn’t mind Flug’s backing out of his driveway without looking behind – I assumed he had a backup camera – but going through stop signs without slowing down rather unnerved me. Especially when there was a dog (Greyhound bus) coming at speed. We survived though.
            It was only later that I realized that his 1989 Gremlin didn’t have a backup camera unless someone had duct taped it to the rear bumper.
            It was a harrowing trip, but we returned in one piece, or rather three pieces, but that was what we had started with – Flug, me and the Gremlin. Groceries aren’t worth it. I resolved to dust off my hitch-hiking thumb if the need arose again.
                                    **************************
            Some of the news stories I am asked to cover for the Victoria Star turn out to be rather brutal. The Dam Run (http://www.runnb.ca/) that took place Saturday, Oct. 8 in Perth-Andover, was one such event.
            There I was, lemonade belly hanging out over my belt, and looking at this gaggle of athletes, real athletes who surely would race Flug’s Gremlin from Perth-Andover to Plaster Rock to Grand Falls to St. Leonard. One guy said he had run 150 kilometres since Wednesday and looked as if a cheetah would fall back in embarrassment if they were competing in a 1000 kilometre foot race.
            A woman from the Jemseg area took off running an hour before the actual 10k race and came back half an hour later, saying she had run to St. Andre just to warm up for the Dam Run. As I was getting ready to take photos of the 10k race, I caught a glimpse of my reflection in the River Valley Civic Centre’s front window. Then I looked at all those finely tuned athletes champing at the bit and decided to lose some weight. Tomorrow without fail I will cut down to six bottles of lemonade a day.
                                    *****************************
            Lately there’s been a lot of talk about Facebook. Indeed, if there weren’t, the company running that shebang had better fold up its tents and head for Minto. Facebook is nothing but conversation.
            Yesterday evening I happened to be perusing a few Facebook posts when I saw one from my Aunt Tillie. She’s 98, and got her first computer two years ago.
            And what a brute it is! I mean the computer, not Aunt Tillie. (I’m still in hopes of a hefty inheritance. She bought 1000 shares of Microsoft in 1991 and is now worth somewhat in the vicinity of the gross national product of Algeria.) She told her computer consultant, Harry, who sells used cars, to get her one that “won’t go wimpy on me when I’m trying to get on the %$#@*&$% Interweb”.
            Harry did that all right. The CEO of IBM was by last week to take a look at it. Apparently it has a zillion gigabytes of RAM – random access memory to you non-nerds – and a hard drive that a Sherpa would have a hard time lugging around. The keyboard, made personally by Bill and Melinda Gates for Stephen Hawking who found it too high-tech, is one that runs by speech recognition. If Aunt Tillie is in the garden and feels like insulting Donald Trump (not possible, but she tries) she just says it out loud and the Donald feels a pin sticking into his comb-over.
            Back to Facebook, Aunt Tillie said this morning on FB that she felt a little “unsettled” by all this talk about New Brunswick’s having an aging population and got a lot of responses, one from the prime minister. “Sunny days, Aunt Tillie,” he wrote. “Just because of your concerns, I have set aside an extra $5 billion (with a ‘b’) for your province’s health care system. Anything else you need?”
                                    *************************
            This morning, first thing, my wife poked her head (as the phrase goes) into my office and pronounced it “the messiest room in the western hemisphere”.
            Of course I was chagrined and nonplussed but, peering between boxes and files, I couldn’t help but agree. I resolved to smarten up and although that resolution didn’t go very far generally, I did decide to clean up this miasma.
            “You can do it, Bob,” said She Who Must Be Obeyed. “After all, London, England cleaned up their air pollution and the sewer that was the Thames River in the 1950s, and Stickney, just below Florenceville, used to be the smokiest place east of Flin Flon, Manitoba and Trail, BC. You can do it,” she repeated.
            And so I did. I am looking at you now from my desk, which is visible from several metres away.  

No comments: