Thursday 7 July 2016

YOU keep the fracking, thank you (June 22)

DIARY

Behold a new holiday – Pessimists’ Day

                        by Robert LaFrance

            We have all heard the ‘glass half full – glass half empty’ routine, have we not? I am a ‘glass half empty’ type of guy, a pessimist since May 11, 1948, when I said to myself: “They’re going to drop me on the floor, aren’t they?”
            They did, but luckily it was on the softwood living room floor at our house in Tilley where I had been born half an hour earlier. I was only unconscious an hour or so but that explains a few things.
            I am on the subject of pessimism because the day this paper appears is June 22, when the days are beginning their downward slide toward winter. Ever since December 22 the days had been getting longer until yesterday when we reached the Summer solstice and winter beckoned.
            On another subject, people say weird things. By ‘people’ I mean WE. Day before yesterday, I heard a woman say: “We have to put on a new roof this summer.” But did she really mean the words she was saying. I pursued the matter further and asked if she and her long-suffering husband planned to ‘put on a new roof’ or did she really mean ‘shingle the roof’? It turned out that the latter was the case.
            I mentioned that I was and am a pessimist. My late father Fred LaFrance (1914-1999) was an optimist, especially when he was looking for a place to park. I swear he would have driven into a Toronto parking lot at high noon and would have expected to find a parking place forty feet from the main door. Sometimes he had to search, but he usually did find one of the elusive parking places. I remember once in the late 1960s he was driving our Volkswaggen Deluxe and couldn’t find a place in one big parking lot, but drove around until he did – 27 minutes. It is considered the modern record for PLS (parking lot searches).
            A recent headline in my daily paper caught my eye. It seems the NB government was considering a different way of having ‘fracking’ companies do their business. They think that fracking in certain areas may be acceptable, but only certain areas. Hmmm…let me see. Can we envision which areas the government will choose? There will be certain guidelines. (1) No fracking where rich people live, and (2) no fracking where influential government members live. I guess that covers it. Excuse me, I have to go down and run some pails of water before my well is contaminated.
            Those curly fluorescent light bulbs – it’s great that they won’t burn out until they have been used at least 20,000 hours. I had two of them burn out last week, and probably five or six in the past year. So I put in an LED bulb in the kitchen and noticed it wasn’t supposed to be used inside a light fixture. Anybody know why? They don’t give off heat. I can’t help thinking we’re being scammed. I don’t like curly fries either.
            Walking through my orchard with a pile of sunchokes I had just dug, I happened upon a very impressive black bear who evidently had decided he (or she, but I’ll say he) was going to rip off my face. He kept advancing and I started backing away, but after a while he was getting too close so I started throwing sunchokes (Jerusalem artichokes) at him. He would stop and chew away for a few seconds while I got closer to my house with each sunchoke. Finally I was on my porch step and close to the kitchen door. Just then my wife came out with her hardwood rolling pin and Mister Bruin took off for the woods. Possibly a true story.
            Four days ago, in a fit of nostalgia, I drove up to Tilley and the house where I was born to give myself a refresher course on what it was like when I was growing up, if I ever did. I walked out to the edge of the woods where I had built a cabin in 1976 after some years in the NWT. The cabin was long gone, but the nearby dump – used in the days before the public dump arrived in Lake Edward – held all sorts of nostalgic treasures. Part of a 1949 Monarch car was there; I remembered driving that down to Lila Goodine’s store, and there were beer bottles of the day (how did THOSE get there?) scattered around. I was quite optimistic back then, wasn’t I? I didn’t even return the empties.
                                                         -end-





No comments: