Thursday 7 July 2016

Words meaning 'kill' (June 29)


DIARY

One hundred Norwegian words for ‘reindeer’

                        by Robert LaFrance

            Comedian Derek Edwards, one of my favourites, has a routine during which he dwells on the fact that the Norwegian language has one hundred words for reindeer. He makes it funny, but sometimes language differences cause people to get very annoyed.
            Example: New Brunswick’s Language Commissioner Katherine d’Entremont clearly intends to antagonize every Anglophone in the province with her pronouncements and musings.
            In another part of Canada, the Northwest Territories, there are eleven official languages, most of them First Nation of course, but federal government bureaucrats can only seem to see two. A recent CBC Radio interview with an Inuit lady from (I think) Sachs Harbour where I used to live, brought forth the information that her baby’s birth certificate could only be issued in English or French.
            This is a perfect example of bureaucrats antagonizing people for no reason except to bully. What possible reason could there be for not printing a birth certificate in Inuktitut or Cree or any of the other official languages? Has Katherine d’Entremont been up there in Yellowknife advising the bureaucrats on the best way to annoy people?
                                    **************************
            I learned many years ago that a ‘flibbertigibbet’ was ‘a frivolous, flighty or excessively talkative person’. Do we know anyone like that?
            Half asleep (so what else is new?), I was watching a TV commercial advertising a new pill made by a company that had spent years and millions of dollars devising a pill to cure ‘Languorism’.
            The biggest expense was, of course, advertising it once they had passed all the government tests. That was easy; the pill is made up of very very mild aspirin and filler. In the old days, we called them placebos, from the Latin word meaning ‘I will please’.
            Here’s my point: Languorism doesn’t exist, or it didn’t before the company invented the word that actually means the state of being calm and relaxed. Mustn’t have that, must we? Of course I could be lying about all this.
                                    **************************
            I’m always amazed when I hear the word ‘euthanize’. People use it as if it doesn’t mean the same as ‘kill’. That seems to be a hard one for people to say. I remember back in the 1960s when there were thousands of CIA types running around Vietnam and they didn’t like to use the word either.
            Writer David Halberstam was the first one who made public the information that the CIA, like the Norwegians with their reindeer, had many euphemisms for the word. My favourite, and his, was the phrase “eliminate with extreme prejudice”. When you execute a Viet Cong ‘spy’ such a phrase is much better than kill, don’t you think?
            Not to get tied down to one subject, and I would prefer the CIA didn’t notice me any more than they already have, let’s go on to gardening.
            My peas are blossomed, my bush beans are looking around hopefully, my tomatoes look healthy, and my carrots are almost ready to harvest in a couple of months, so my garden is looking good – except for my beets.
            Year after year I walk hopefully into my garden and plant beets, but all I ever get for my trouble is pain and frustration. Last year I harvested seven beets, each about the size of a golf ball and that gave me hope. This year I planted twice as many and my hopes were high, but like Flug’s third wife Fifi, they have flown the coop. He tracked her down in Minto where she was living with a weightlifter, or as he would call himself, bodybuilder. And here I thought we were born with our bodies already built. By the way, ironically (referring to gardening), his name is Pete Maus.
            As the faithful and long-suffering readers of this column know, I often listen to CBC and MPBN radio stations. There are many thoughtful programs on CBC and on that American PBS station. On CBC last Saturday evening I was listening to a show called ‘Vinyl Tap’ whose announcer, Randy Bachman, relates stories from the history of rock music of which he was a great part. He was in The Guess Who and in Bachman-Turner Overdrive.
            Last Saturday evening I almost fell off my chair when he, referring to a 1980s rocker, said he had been “originally born in Winnipeg”.
            I’ve been thinking about the idea of a ‘gender-neutral’ cabinet and am wondering if that should be a criterion for selecting people who will have power over the rest of us plebes. Of course the main danger would be that, sooner or later, women will be in the majority and then we males will have to fight for equality as I have to in this very household. How I’ve suffered.
                                                 -end-

No comments: