Tuesday 4 August 2015

The world according to coffee (July 22)

DIARY

Scrapping with Albert Einstein

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

            Do you ever get the impression that a lot of people spend a lot of time talking about a lot of things that don’t make a lot of difference to a lot of other people – like me and you?
            Of course we agree that the things I write about in this column are pretty much world-shaking, but I am referring to things that we aren’t interested in – like coffee.
            Two days ago I sat quietly on someone’s couch and listened to three people discuss the merits of 455 different kinds of coffee. “Medium blend mixed with Colombian gives a distinct flavour ‘reminiscent of pine woods without a distinct pine flavour’,” was one thing I heard. The first thing I thought of was that the whole subject was ‘reminiscent of a pasture where many male cows had been grazing’.
            There was a ‘dark roast’, a blend of Brazilian and Mexican (one assumes coffee)  beans and a dozen more combinations including those from Arabia. The ones discussing this seemed to know what they were talking about and maybe they did, but I always remember the evening many years ago when several ‘experts’ did a blind taste test on three kinds of wine.
            They argued away and finally agreed on which high-end (expensive) wine was which. Then the woman who was conducting the test revealed that all three were  homemade plonk from the bottle in her fridge.
                        *************************
            Flug and I were at a memorial service on Monday morning. The Old Perfessor had it at his home even though he wasn’t dead and in fact not even sick. He wanted to see what it was like to have people say a bunch of nice things about him, for a change.
            Nobody was mad – most of us were in on it – when he emerged from his shed where he had been listening via what he called ‘a satellite feed’ and which I called a microphone and a wire between his living room and his shed.
            Nobody was mad because the Perfessor is rich and we’re all hoping to be mentioned in his will when he does decide to take a leg-swing at the bucket, cross over to the next world, buy the farm, give up the ghost, snuff it, or pass on to Nirvana. How do we know he’s rich even though he drives a 1985 Gremlin and re-uses paper towels? Because one day Flug and I were at his house and he, the Perfessor, was putting a new handle in his pole-axe. For a wedge he was using a Toonie. That pretty much proves it.
            Speaking of satellite feeds and other high-tech devices, I have been wondering lately what kind of people (I use the word loosely) deliberately send viruses, phishes, Spam, etc. around the world to annoy and cause serious damage to governments, banks, police, and even me.
            Last year someone sent me a Facebook ‘friend request’ and it ended up being anything but friendly. Bright lights and funny sounds came from my computer which never did anyone any harm – unless you want to mention some of my columns. (Two years ago a woman in Minto was laughing so hard while reading my column that she fell downstairs and broke her dipsy-doodle.)
            Seriously though, some people spend their days trying to spam the world and I’m thinking it’s time the punishment fit the crime. If the libel or slander came via text message, then the culprit should have his or her thumbs broken. No more texting for a while – or hitch-hiking either. Anyone who spreads a computer virus should be injected with mumps or bird flu viruses. As we know, antibiotics don’t work well on that stuff, but at least they could still hitch-hike, preferably to Borneo.
                        *************************
            I just read something in Encyclopedia Brittanica that bothered me a great deal. Now if I could just remember what it was.
            Got it! That venerable reference book told me that, after the age of 20, everyone loses about 50,000 brain cells every day. I am 67 years old. I have lost 2.35 million brain cells since 1968.

            What was I talking about? Oh yes, brain cells. The worst part is that those lost cells never come back, more’s the pity. However, there is one piece of information I have that indicates EB is wrong. If a certain 103-year-old lady in a certain local nursing home has lost 4.15 million brain cells, she should be stunned as a stump, but she’s as sharp as a tack. Therefore Encyclopedia Brittanica is wrong because if it were right, that lady, when she was 20 and still had those missing 4.15 million brain cells, would have been scrapping with Albert Einstein about the Theory of Relativity and she wasn’t.
                                                                           -end-

No comments: