Tuesday 4 August 2015

One of them heavy-duty pickup trucks (July 29)

DIARY

Boy, is my face red, but I just followed orders

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

            As a married man of almost a third of a century of suffering, I now take the path of least resistance, so it only made sense when I followed the D.O.T. (they can call it DTI if they want) pickup truck out into the woods.
            As many people know, the government has recently paved Highway 105 above Kilburn and while they were doing it, there were several flagpersons on duty. When I  arrived at their signs I would stop until all the vehicles followed by a D.O.T. pickup truck came from the other direction. Then the leading pickup, with the sign ‘Follow Me’ hanging on its tailgate, would turn around and lead us onward.
            All I did was follow the directions on that truck which, after a while, left the road and went out onto a woods road. How was I supposed to know that that driver was taking his lunch hour and wanted to do a little fishing in a nearby stream? The sign said ‘Follow Me’ and I just obeyed the order.
            Speaking of D.O.T., not long ago, in the early spring, I saw a government sign that warned drivers that snowmobiles might be crossing the road at that point. I well remember that decades ago, when our kids were small, D.O.T. wouldn’t put up signs warning drivers along our rural road that children could go out onto that road. “It would give your kids a false sense of security,” said the chap who came by to check. We had two daughters at the time, the younger walking but just under one year old, and I wondered how and where a 14-month-old could have acquired ‘a false sense of security’ before she was even fully toilet trained.
            I was not too pleased when my wife recently called our son a reptile. As he was leaving to go play soccer, she said: “See you later, alligator!”
            What’s next? Is my older daughter an aardvark? Is my younger daughter a zebra mussel? I think people should be more careful about what they call other people. Except it’s okay to call politicians names; they expect it and would be sad if we didn’t call them names. On the other hand, when I drive on the beautiful Highway 105 recently installed from Kilburn to lower Perth, I purr like a cat and cannot think of a bad thing to say about politicians. Keep up the good work,
                        *************************
            I want me to get one a them there pickup trucks with the dual wheels on the back.
They look as if they would ride like a Rolls Royce. There’s nothing wrong with our Toyota Corolla, but on my bucket list (as they say) is ownership of a truly expensive vehicle, one that propels me along like a magic carpet.
            There are only two problems buying one of those heavy duty pickup trucks, if that’s what they’re called. They cost an arm and a leg plus several other body parts, and they carry about as much freight as my little nephew’s toy mouse.
On the subject of summer itself, don’t you find that there are a lot of things happening over which we have no control? (When I was growing up in Tilley, I would have said: ‘There’s a lot of things we don’t got no control over’. I’ve become a horse’s aspect.)
            I am referring to the rituals of summer that we all take part in, on one side or the other of a counter - takeouts, yard sales, gardening and fertilizing lawns, not to mention the many celebrations like Canada Day, Homecoming 2015 this weekend, and fishing.
            It’s as if we – most of us – have received our orders. The first week in May and maybe once a week or a fortnight all summer we go get some french fries just because they’re there. Poutine is a favourite of those who like grease and even more grease. My Uncle Cedric told me one day that when he craves poutine he just goes to the pantry and drinks a cup and a half of canola oil.
            Yard sales speak for themselves. It’s a wonderful chance to trade junk with one’s neighbour. I sold a cassette player at a 1999 yard sale and bought it back at a 2011 yard sale. Bright side: I made a dime on the deal.
Gardening is a great summer ritual, but I’m finding it less and less joyful every year. Can I be getting lazy? After I typed that question Flug, reading over my shoulder, burped and said he didn’t know what form of the verb ‘getting’ was, but past tense seemed more fitting.

So the rituals of summer come along every year and we follow them every year, but I’ll tell you one thing…never mind, I won’t bother trying a summer resolution after the messes I made of my New Years promises.
                                          -end- 

No comments: