Tuesday 4 August 2015

Flug needs a lot of energy drinks (August 5)

DIARY

Small things amuse small minds

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

            My friend Flug came over for breakfast this morning and had his usual four poached eggs with hot chocolate. He kept shaking his head as if something were bothering him.
            “Did Zelda leave you for a weightlifter, Flug?” I asked in the sensitive way I have. Zelda was his 17th wife. The other sixteen ‘flew the coop’ when they realized he wasn’t really president of IBM. More like Nortel.
            “Naw, it’s this medicine I have to take for my thyroid,” he said. “I made the mistake of reading the directions and warnings. And, by the way, my wife’s name is RoseAnne, I think.” RoseAnn was 27 years old, I recalled.
            He proffered a pill bottle and the papers that came with it. It was four pages of warnings, and if you didn’t have serious medical problems before taking the pills, you would have afterward. Flug had developed a twitch.
            “Take this medicine before meals or with meals, but never after meals except on days when the sun rises in the west,” he read. “Do not take it if you have high blood pressure, low blood pressure or normal blood pressure, or if you have had your left arm amputated in the past six months.” It went on in this manner for four pages and concluded with this warning: “If you don’t have to take this stuff, throw it in the garbage.”
            I could see why Flug was a little confused. “But the doctor said I need this medicine to keep up my energy level, if you know what I mean.”
            I advised him to drink more coffee and energy drinks and eat lots of oysters and peanut butter. He was throwing the pills into the garbage when a knock came at my door. It was RoseAnn. Wow. I took one look at her and fished the pills out of the wastepaper can. “You dropped these, Flug. I think you’ll need them.”
                        *************************
            How much are we missing by driving on the Trans Canada Highway instead of on the secondary roads where the people live? Coming home from Fredericton after the NB Highland Games, I decided to drive for a while on the former TCH, now called Route 102 or Route 130. It was quite a shock to see that there was a river along there. Driving on the 4-lane, one could imagine there was nothing but woods in this part of New Brunswick. I wonder what orders the road building companies received? “Okay, folks, I want you to make this road as boring as possible. If, when you finish, I drive along there and see a glimpse of something other than trees, you’ll have to build it all again.”
            They followed their instructions all right. Those who drive through to PEI or Nova Scotia wouldn’t have a clue that people actually live in New Brunswick or that the scenery is beautiful. How could they know? Those brave enough to leave the TCH would find ‘The Scenic Route’ along Highway 105 to be so rough and potholed it wouldn’t be worth it. The former TCH, as I mentioned, has some nice scenery, but it’s chopped up and even disappears between Nackawic and Meductic.
            Any Nova Scotians reading this and snickering needn’t bother. The Wentworth Valley is a scenic drive, but the province built a 4-lane from Amherst to Truro. Zero scenery and a toll. A longer drive and subject to horrific winter storms at Cobequid Pass. Who was the genius who okayed that?
            We (NB) are often called a ‘drive-though province’ and for good reason. Tourists can’t see anything to stop for. The only place along the TCH one can see the river is at Eel River, where York and Carleton Counties meet. Someone got fired over that one.
                        *************************
            Another observation from the summer: Those who have computers know what Google is, and a lot of people know what Facebook is, but most people don’t know that those folks who invented those two items are not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. Seriously.
Every time one of us clicks ‘like’ or clicks on a photo of a cat, Google or Facebook records that. It’s all about advertising so other companies will know you like cats and send you a chance to buy their new cathouse or some sort of exotic food that involves catnip. Although cats and I don’t see eye to eye (I’m taller), I like to confuse the Google and Facebook people by clicking on sites dealing with cats and then I go to earthworms and Confucius, or maybe even Canmore, Alberta.

Small things amuse small minds, they say.
                              -end- 

No comments: