Sunday 23 August 2015

Kippers and bananas for supper (Aug. 12)

DIARY

We are the long-suffering taxpayers

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

            A question: while this long, long, LONG federal election campaign is going on, who is running Canada?
            One gets the impression that no one is actually behind the counter of the store when the shoplifters are about, and the video cameras have been turned off. It’s like the U.S. where they have these 2-year presidential campaigns that begin right after the mid-term elections.
            Who are we kidding anyway? Although Harper officially called the election around the first of August, the campaign had been going on for months. We knew the election date was to be October 19 and that doesn’t change. We know the governing party has vast amounts of money, much of it taxpayers’ money, to spend on mindless TV and  other ads.
            Elections Canada was going to spend $375 million on the 5-week campaign, but now with the 11-week one it will be as much as $500 million. The next time you drive on a pot-holed road because the federal money wasn’t available to help twin it, think of those 125 million extra dollars, or if you need help with daycare, or you hear about another cut to CBC, our only non-American network, remember it went to a good cause – Male Cow Manure.
            The federal government can’t have it both ways; either they’re working hard to govern Canada or they’re travelling all over the place to get re-elected. Eleven weeks? We’ve been looking at these turkeys for years and should know by now which turkey we want in power after October 19. Let’s get on with it so government can govern…What am I saying? They don’t want to govern, they just want to get re-elected.
I listened to a few minutes of the August 6 debate and had to drink a 45-gallon drum of Pepto-Bismal just to keep down my supper of kippers and bananas. The last time I saw people behave so much like children, it WAS children. I was visiting a kindergarten  classroom and was impressed by the racket, but even those little gaffers seemed to be more polite than the party leaders of Canada. I tried to teach my own children not to interrupt, but I guess the parents of those politicians didn’t spend much time on that aspect of child-rearing.
                        ************************
            “I don’t understand how I lost that toss,” moaned Laramie, the bartender. “I had a 2-headed coin.”
            “You lost because you called tails,” said Flug, who does not suffer fools cheerfully. Besides, Flug won the toss, won and drove home Laramie’s 1975 Pinto, a car he had always wanted. Perhaps the next time he is looking for a fool to non-suffer, Flug could look in a mirror, unless it were a 2-way mirror. I am no fan of the Pinto ‘car’.
            In other news from the Scotch Colony, some people Flug might want to meet have just built a new bungalow at the foot of Lawson Hill. They are immigrants from the U.S., people who have gotten weary of being more afraid of the police than they are of the bad guys. Their surname is Arbor, but, because of the way we spell some words, they changed it to ‘Arbour’ as a gesture of solidarity with Canada and us, its people. Of course the first person to visit them was Moose Jackson, who had two shotguns and two rifles in his pickup truck. Scared the Arbor/Arbour family half to death and showed them that some Canadians are firearm nuts too.
            PIN stands for ‘pretty important number’ – did you know that? I thought for years that it stood for ‘personal identification number’ but a woman on the telephone told me it was just a number that indicated I was right up there in importance. She said she was calling from Ottawa, in fact from Stephen Harper’s office, and said that if I gave her the PIN I use on my credit and debit cards I would be getting a plaque in the mail. About time I got some recognition.

            Computers, the Internet and particularly Facebook have made vast changes in the lives of many people, although I should add that others drift by without being affected at all. Bethany Popadopulous, my neighbour down the road, was explaining some of the shortcuts that Facebook users employ, like ‘lol’ which means ‘laugh out loud’ and ‘omg’ which means ‘oh my gosh’ or ‘oh my god’ if you want to approach the Blasphemy Border. The letters  ‘bff’ mean ‘best friends forever’. “That’s not used much these days,” Bethany told me, “because people move around so much and lie a lot, so these days we  say ‘ffm’ which means ‘friends for the moment’. More realistic.
                                                              -end-

No comments: