Wednesday 10 June 2015

The old pod-auger days (June 3)

DIARY

Location, location, location

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

            News flash: At 8:29 am on Saturday, May 23, 2015, Victoria Star cub (or old grizzly bear) reporter Robert LaFrance looked out the window of his bedroom and said to himself: “Looks like snow to me.”
            It was snow all right – about three inches of it, or, to use that new metric stuff, it was however many kilograms was the equivalent of three inches of snow.
            My friend Flug woke up in his house, looked out the window, and went back to bed. He was on his 17th honeymoon and would rather look at Flora (Glenna?) than go out into that returning winter. By the time he did get up the snow was all melted anyway, possibly because of his efforts.
            (There’s a business mantra ‘Location, location, location’ which is all-important. Once again that was proved true. People in Perth-Andover didn’t have snow, or at least not much on May 23rd.)
            It was quite a shock for a few seconds, but then it was still quite a shock, but after a third shock I was okay. I knew it wouldn’t stay. Or would it? My grandfather told me about the summer when it snowed in late August and stayed on for a month. “That was back in the pod-auger days,” he told me, referring to the times when people with long augers drilled out poles that the people then used for water pipes.
He was two years old and always said that the weird weather was caused by a volcano “in Asia somewhere” spouting ash that went around the world. “Sure, gramps,” I would say, until I found out that Krakatoa volcano of Indonesia occurred in late August 1883, when Grampy was two and a half. He was gone by the time I moved back to Tilley so I couldn’t apologize for doubting him.
Back to the May 23 three-inch snowstorm in Kincardine, I don’t want to talk about it any more. It wasn’t quite in the Krakatoa ball park, was it?
                              *****************************
            I recently heard a story that reminded me of those pod-auger days – although not as far back as 1883 – and how most people around these parts didn’t have a lot of money.
            Covering – for this newspaper – the opening of Liberal MLA Andrew Harvey’s constituency office on the Fort Road in Perth-Andover, I got to talking to Roger Pelkey, now of Carlingford but who grew up in Aroostook. He didn’t mention pod-augers. He started out by saying that he and his brother Rufus were only able to dress up  and go to town on alternate weekends. “Why was that?” I asked.
            “Because we only had one pair of good pants for the two of us,” he said, and that reminded me that people didn’t have a lot of money in those days, like hardly any. My mother-in-law, who had ten kids, scrounged clothes that people had thrown away and sewed into the small hours of the morning to make decent clothes for her kids to wear. My own family was quite wealthy in comparison. Since there were only three of us kids, our hand-me-downs only had to go three hands.
            Kids today have it tough too; I’m not saying they don’t. One young fellow I know has had to make do with an iPhone 3 when all his friends have iPhone5 or later. On the other hand, kids today are under far more pressure than we ever were. Back in my day, when you took a job with CN or in the Fraser Company sawmill, it was thought to be for life. Now they’re lucky if a company lasts an hour before some Toronto bean-counter decides to close things down without ever having been east of Oshawa.
            It has usually been the rural folk, and particularly farmers, who got the short end of the stick, except for one major case I have heard about. During the World Wars there was food rationing, but guess whose milk, meat, eggs and other food staples wasn’t rationed? How could it be? The farmers were the ones producing it all.
                        *************************
            The average reader of this column – and I know you’re all above average – remembers that a few weeks ago I “took the Royal Bank (RBC) to task” for their ridiculous new bank charges that included having to pay a $5 fee for making a payment on your mortgage. This is after reporting record profits in their last quarter.
            Good news. RBC, and I can’t say that it’s through no vault of my own (pun intended), has dropped most if not all those new fees. This just goes to show you the power of a rural New Brunswick weekly newspaper. When I wrote that, RBC was obviously listening, er, reading, and reacted by doing the right thing.

            Now, if I can just persuade Stephen Harper to step down, or at least name me a Senator.
                                                         -end-

No comments: