Tuesday 30 June 2015

Once again Quebec is favoured over us (July 1)

DIARY

What if the Hartland-PQ situation were reversed?

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

            One of the ‘trending’ news stories that have sent New Brunswickers to the cursing pit has been the one about a Hartland company, Craig Manufacturing, losing out to a Quebec company on a bid to supply D.O.T. with half a million dollars worth of snowploughs and other equipment. The difference between the Quebec bid and the Craig bid was $1600. I spill more than that during the average evening at the club.
            We may not have 20-20 vision in all things, but I suspect there has been some dirty work going on, some behind-the-scenes manoeuvring between the Quebec company and the FIFA – er, I mean NB – civil servants. I would be quite interested to know who gave the final okay for that contract to go outside New Brunswick when we are hurting for jobs and bleeding for citizens to stay in our province.
            We wonder, when that final decision was made, about the condition of the brain of the NB politician who finally said: “Yeah, let’s give all that work to a Quebec company.” As we all know, just about any tender offer contains the phrase “Lowest bid not necessarily accepted.”
            Here’s the kicker: Let us try and imagine if the scenario were reversed. Quebec D.O.T. put out a tender for making ploughs, etc. and a New Brunswick company won the bid by $1600 (or by $100,000 for that matter) over a company in, let’s say, Lac St. Jean, PQ.
            Would there be one snowball’s chance in hell that the Quebec government would choose the bid from New Brunswick? Not one. Such is life in our part of the world.
            (Note: Although the province has since cancelled the contract, we can be sure that the Quebec company and Quebeckers in general will not 'prendre position couchée' - take it lying down.)
                        ************************
            Other comments: A gent from Perth-Andover was telling me the other day that people are having a hard time defining the word ‘handyman’ as it appears on his truck. I’m not going to mention his name, but Perry was quite frustrated that people don’t realize that a ‘handyman’ is ready, willing and able to do any kind of (legal) work from lawn mowing to shingling to repair work all over the place.
            I have put in a formal complaint to the province and am considering a court action to stop a sexist practice that male drivers are subjected to all over this province. I refer to the graphic signs picturing moose that are likely to cross the road at any time. The moose drawings invariably have antlers, and there is the sexist part. Know any female moose with antlers?
Going back a day or two, I must say that the only thing I remember from my childhood is that I don’t remember a thing about it. I get a great kick (sometimes literally) when someone tells an involved tale about some event in his or her childhood, and then someone else who grew up with him or her says: “I don’t remember it that way at all.” In other words, we’re all liars when we talk about things we used to do. One fellow I knew – he was about 20 years older than I – used to tell stories constantly and he was always the hero of his own yarn. He led the D-day invasion onto the beach even though he had three broken legs.
Somebody told me last week that he had thrown out two dozens eggs because they were slightly past their expiry date. We’re talking $3 or so per dozen. When I was a kid we threw out an egg when, after we cracked it, the smell would knock a cat off a gut-wagon – and that is nothing to sneeze at. People nowadays are very paranoid about ‘best-before’ dates as if, at midnight on the final date, the food suddenly explodes into a fine mist that will blow off your ear. I call that smell ‘PC fever’. Nothing political; I refer to the day about 1975 when I drove out to Port Colbourne (PC), Ontario, and found that, days earlier, a ship had dropped some toxic chemicals into Lake Ontario at that point and killed all the fish. I was barely able to drive away, it smelled that bad. Just think, if the commercials aren’t lying, today we could merely spray some Lysol into the water and the whole area would be ‘springtime fresh’.

            I find I must end this column with a sad report. A lady in Satret, Inner Mongolia (or Gibraltar, one a them places) has succumbed to a condition called Claditis Syndrome. She clad her foot in size four shoes although her feet were size nine. Apparently all the blood that was supposed to flow through her feet couldn’t get there and returned to her brain, which then exploded. Of course I could be lying, but I am trying to illustrate the Mark Twain comment that women buy shoes for their eyes, not their feet.
                                                       -end- 

No comments: