Friday 19 June 2015

A lesson in grocery pricing (June 17, Watergate anniversary)

DIARY

No job finished until the paperwork is done

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

            Hey, how about that recent G7 ‘summit’ that was held in Germany? Let’s give them a great big hand because they really accomplished something, or we might think so, listening to the news reports.
            The main item was that these leaders signed a paper saying they agreed to (almost) phase out fossil fuel use by the year 2100. The TV news people were quite thrilled that Prime Minister Harper had signed it. Excuse me, but Harper would send his grandmother to a concentration camp if it meant he would get re-elected.
            Excuse me again, but…2100? Are we impressed?
            The only other ‘major’ announcement was that they wouldn’t drop the sanctions on Russia. Boy, that approach has really kept that Hitler wannabee Putin out of Ukraine (and Crimea) hasn’t it?
            Like the Canadian Senate, it’s time to stop this G7, G8, and G20 foolishness. It’s only a chance for these turkeys to eat some good grub, get on TV and it costs a fortune for no reason. I read on one news report that a total of 22,000 extra German police officers were on hand to guard the ‘dignitaries’ in case someone spilled champagne on them.
            As to cost, AKA waste, the usual estimate is $250 million or so. Although Germany allegedly paid for it, we can be sure that we Canadians paid millions for all Harper’s travel and security when he should have been home watching the Mike Duffy trial. The one we hosted in Toronto and area cost us $858 million. Anybody remember what that accomplished other than beating up demonstrators?
                        *************************
            My grandfather Muff LaFrance had many sayings, and most of them made sense.
            One day when I was in my late teens and visiting him, who lived next door, I heard a shout coming from his outhouse, a building I’ve mentioned three times in this column in just the last month. “What is it, Grampy?” I said, thinking the worst (He was 93.); perhaps he had dropped his brandy bottle down the toilet hole and expected me to fish it out.
            “Bobby! Would you get me the Eaton’s catalogue from the kitchen table?” I thought it was an odd time to read, but then connected the two terms: outhouse, and Eaton’s catalogue.
            After that operation was down and dusted, he emerged from the outhouse as spry as ever. “Good thing you came along,” he said, “because I dropped the toilet paper roll down hole number two of the 2-holer. No job is finished until the paperwork’s done.”
                        *************************
            The next item concerns a lecture I recently received on the economics of grocery sales. I was at a store far, far away and noticed that medium hamburger – or ‘ground beef’ as they say – was on sale for $7.89 a kilogram. Good price as things go nowadays. I thought: “If MEDIUM hamburger is selling for that, then regular hamburger must be $7.00 or so.” It turned out that logic like that has no business in a grocery store.
            When I arrived at the meat cooling area, I noticed that regular hamburger was priced at $12.89 a kilogram. I shook my alleged head in shock and dismay. The meat manager must have gone over the edge. I tracked him down. “Do you realize that regular hamburger is priced $5 a kilogram more than medium hamburger?
            “It’s because the medium is on sale, and you’re an idiot, Bob,” he said kindly.
“Be that as it may,” I spluttered, “how can ‘regular’ be priced much higher than medium? Don’t you find this strange?” He said he only found one thing strange in the area, and it wasn’t hamburger, and went back to sorting the beef roasts and the pork roasts. I could see I was never going to make him see the light, so I went to the back of the store and bought $25 worth of the medium hamburger. “That’ll show them,” I said to the door as I departed the Store of No Logic.
                        ************************
            Continuing with important matters, I want to say that one of the hardest things to throw away is a key.
            Do you agree? I won’t ask you to phone or email me with your observations because I’m already swamped with paperwork (see above) because of the usual reaction to my columns. This subject came about because when I got up Saturday morning I decided to do something useful – get rid of keys that had no use.

Two hours later I was still agonizing. Finally I hung them all back in the closet. If I threw away one key, it would be to something vital. I threw away a freezer key in 1991 and we almost starved.
                                         -end-

No comments: