Tuesday 26 May 2015

A whole column on outhouses (May 27)

Maybe George Carlin was right

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

            The late comedian George Carlin used to say: “When you find yourself talking about (mucous) maybe it’s time you went into another line of work.”
            Perhaps I should start thinking about becoming a brain surgeon or cartographer, because the leading subject of today’s column is outhouses.
            At this point most of those under the age of thirty are wondering just what the heck I’m talking about, but we old-timers certainly remember some cold February mornings when we had to decide whether to burst or to go outside to the outhouse to ‘do number two’ as one may delicately phrase it.
            The last time I ever had my own outhouse was in the late 1970s after I had returned from some years in the Northwest Territories and had built a cabin in Tilley. Since I didn’t have a well, and therefore no way to flush a toilet, the ‘facility’ was out back of my cabin. In the summer it didn’t seem too far way, but in February it was approximately seven miles.
            Ironically, although I was stationed in some wild and out-of-the-way places in NWT, each of the weather stations was equipped with a working well and sewerage system and it was only when I returned to civilization in New Brunswick that I found myself needing a ‘privy’ outside my living area.
            Some history on that privy AKA outhouse. My grandfather Muff LaFrance (1881-1976) built it in the 1960s out back of his little house where my cousin Tom lives today along Churchland Road in Tilley, but Grampy had died just a couple of months before I returned to NB and the outhouse was there. After digging a hole that would be my entire sewer system, I took the privy on the back of a pickup truck over to my cabin. I not only had an Eaton’s catalogue in it, but in a moment of pure braggadocio, I installed not only a Simpson-Sears catalogue, but a Sears Roebuck one from across the border. I wanted my guests to have the best and rub shoulders (and other parts) with some fine merchandise.
            The reader should be told now how it was that I got onto this subject which, I admit, is not that far off George Carlin’s criterion for changing careers.
            Reading a book entitled ‘Unstoppable, the Bathroom Reader’, I came across a section about privies, which are, when we think about it, bathrooms. At least the way we refer to bathrooms today; they don’t necessarily have to have a bathtub or shower even if they are called BATHrooms. As I think about it, I really wouldn’t want to take a bath in an outhouse.
            The article called our attention to an entirely new industry that has begun in the past sixty years or so. It’s called ‘privy digging’ and, disgusting as it may sound, we have to remember that the organic material deposited in the outhouse hole many decades ago is now compost and doesn’t stink at all. Indeed, to a gardener, it is like Chanel #5 perfume.
            Okay, a show of hands: how many people in this room – for example in the lounge of the Victoria Glen Manor where John Larsen is reading this column to some of the residents – how many have ever sat in an outhouse and felt the January winds on their lower regions? I described the location of mine near my cabin, but I have seen some that were practically in the middle of the lone prairie. A person thought long and hard before he or she went out into one of those.
            A thought just occurred to me: we hear so much nowadays about people trying to lose weight; I’m thinking that part of the reason we’re fat is that bathrooms these days are so nice and warm and comfortable. In the old days, a person deciding whether to have that last serving of baked beans and brown rolls might think twice because of that lonely building out back.
            The book I mentioned said that ‘privy digging’ started in the 1950s when people started collecting antique bottles and continues today when many treasures are found among the composted human waste. People would throw anything down there just to get rid of it.

            One final story, and this is not for those with weak stomachs. Those folks better stop reading now. I heard about Samuel (Not his real name) who, after drinking too much, had his head over the outhouse hole and lost both dentures. He went back in to sleep it off and a ‘friend’ fished them out. He set them on Samuel’s table without washing them. Samuel got up after a while and saw the teeth. I don’t dare to say what he did with them or I myself might have to “call Europe on the big white telephone” as the saying goes.
                                                           -end- 

No comments: