Tuesday 19 May 2015

Alternate brain accommodations (May 20)

DIARY

The latest grasp (or gasp) at economic straws

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

            Some things are as predictable as a dog chasing a squirrel. As soon as any election is over, or almost over, there will be a great outcry for ‘proportional representation’ which will be forgotten a week after the new premier or prime minister takes his or her office.
            So it is with ‘the undergound economy’ which we hear about and read about practically every day lately. When governments get desperate and politicians find that they may have to curtail or reduce their fact-finding missions to New Zealand and Bermuda, they get worried and start talking about this.
            “Government loses billions on undergound economy,” shouts one headline, and the reporter gives an ‘estimate’ of just how many billions are being lost. It’s called ‘taking your mind off the billions we’ve been wasting’.
            Suppose you had a bushel of apples still quite good after a winter in the root cellar and you knew a guy in the Grand Falls area who sells hens’ eggs. You make a trade. According to the government, if you were a real Canadian, you should estimate the value of these products and report it to the government so they could sting you for HST.
            Note: The government dismissed the idea of road tolls and a raise in HST as being “too easy”.
            My theory on these folks in government who believe that should happen is: “Oh look! Pigs flying over!” Another theory I have is that all these fact-finding missions to warm areas (in winter) should be taxed as well, and the cheque sent to me.
            I have a feeling that this would happen about the same day that I am named the Senator from Tilley, New Brunswick. Oh wait. I don’t live in Tilley, not since I was a teenager, so I couldn’t claim to be a citizen of that hamlet any more.
                        *************************
            Following is a list of short subjects that I have noted over the past few months:
            Watching an ATV newscast last week, I saw a story about a family who had to move out of their house because of mould or some other scourge. The reporter said they had to move to ‘alternate accommodations’, which, if I understand it correctly, means  ‘somewhere else’. We get so used to this puffed-up language that we don’t even notice it any more.
            My cellphone is a big help to me and I usually carry it, and I usually carry it turned on. This is a fairly common thing among those of my gender, but the other gender (I have learned this from observation, not prejudice) tends to also carry their cell phones, but they’re either turned off or buried under the detritus in their purses. I should mention that ten minutes after I typed this, Flug dropped by. He was carrying his cellphone and it was turned off. I can’t seem to win today.
            Not to pick on government too much, but it’s SO EASY. Employment figures for New Brunswick came out shortly after the first of May and we heard the welcome news that our province’s unemployment rate had dropped 0.2% in the month of April. So things are really picking up, right? The next revelation was that the reason for this was that an extra large number of young people had gone out west in a search for work. A pat on the head for NB, and then a slap in the face.
            So much of the modern electronic equipment is designed with the idea that we are all idiots. Recently I rode in a car whose doors lock automatically a minute after it gets on the road. That’s all right; we have the same feature on our Corolla and all I do is push the button to unlock all the doors. However, this other car I referred to had an additional feature; whenever I unlocked the car door, it would lock itself back up within a minute. Am I being unreasonable here? I really don’t want to be locked in a car at the whim of Toyota or Mazda, and I don’t like a car to override my wishes like that.

            Ah, the rites and rituals of spring. One of mine is to go have some fish and chips at Tilley Takeout which I did on May 8th. Having been born in Tilley, a mile up the road from TTO, I have to go there each spring and have those fish and chips. We are blessed in this area with a plethora of great takeouts and I can’t name them all; it’s just that a Tilleyiker has to go back now and then to refresh his soul. Up to now, few people realized that a takeout can sell soul food.
                                                  -end-

No comments: