Saturday 31 August 2013

Apparently golf is vital (Aug. 28/13)


Do soap opera (or operas) reflect real life? 

                                                            by Robert LaFrance
 

            It takes a lot to shock this old reporter who has been on the job since 1978, but I must admit that last week something shocked me to the point where I stopped complaining about the weather and the government and went: “WOW!”

            It happened at a grocery store in Perth-Andover.

            Normally not a whole lot happens in grocery stores unless I go in there while I’m hungry and have to leave my pickup truck in partial payment for the groceries I just have to have, but on this day something did happen.

            I remember it well, it was a Thursday morning.

            “No, Bob, it was a Tuesday afternoon,” said my wife, reading over my shoulder.

            Well anyway, I was walking down the spices aisle (another interruption to say it was the ‘baking goods’ aisle, at which point I ejected her from the room) and there were jars of unsalted peanuts, which is the only kind I eat. I picked up a bottle and was about to put it in my grocery cart when I decided, just for the halibut, to check the list of ingredients to see what kinds and quantities of chemicals were included with one of my favourite snack foods.

            Here’s where the shock came in: there was one ingredient – peanuts.

            Where were the preservatives? The colouring agents? The toxic chemicals so that my system didn’t collapse? They were not there, and I began hyperventilating at the idea that, all these years, I had been eating peanuts that were not laced with the usual chemicals that my body has become used to.

                                                                                    *****************************

            On the sometimes toxic subject of golf, for the first time in many years I played a game and it turned out so well that I put the results on Facebook.

            My daughter Kate and I played nine holes at Plaster Rock course (one I have always liked very much) and it seems we were the prime attractions for everyone who was golfing that day, living nearby, or driving by on the Renous Highway. Crowds gathered to see some of my drives, and my putts were the stuff of legends, as you shall see.

            Kate, who seems to have some talent for the game unlike her old Papa, pretty much always hit the ball in the direction of the green we were bravely seeking, but my shots were, as I said, ‘the stuff of legends’. I might as well go to the final score right now so the reader does not skip to the end of this report and miss the details: I won. My final score over nine holes was 548, while hers was only 68. Clearly I have the golfing talent in the…”

            “Bob,” interrupted my friend Flug, who had been reading over my shoulder, “the one with the lowest score wins the game.” Oh. Why don’t people tell me these things so I don’t make more of a fool of myself than Nature already has?

            I suppose I might as well relate the tale of the game I almost won, and would have if not for the intervention of one of those young fellows who tend to trundle around golf courses on riding mowers. It was on the third hole, and the young fellow was mowing well off to the side, so I decided to take my tee shot. Fully expecting to put it on the green (at worst) I took a smooth swing – at least it started it smooth – but Fate intervened at that second.

            The young gent on the mower caught sight of my daughter, who is quite a looker, and he veered right in front of the green. My golf ball bounced off the top of the mower and zinged over toward Two Rivers mill and right in the window of one of the big trucks going by. Mouth agape, I watched my shot head for Connecticut in the cab of the big diesel truck. I was still winning, I thought, but that didn’t help.

            Still vaguely on the subject of golf, I recall back in the early 1980s when I used to go to Plaster Rock every Wednesday afternoon – and play a round of golf if it didn’t rain – I would stop at a house along the Currie Road and visit with a little old lady who was a former neighbour from Churchland Road, Tilley.

            One day I stopped and she was watching a certain soap opera – ‘The Secret Edge of Restless Stomach’ perhaps. A certain character was holding a gun on someone in a graveyard. Exactly one week later I again stopped again to visit, and the same character was holding a gun on the same guy. This would be 168 hours without food, drink or washroom.

            It was then I realized that soap opera (that’s the plural of ‘opus’) weren’t quite factual, and if not for golf I wouldn’t have guessed.          
                                       -end-

No comments: