Saturday 17 August 2013

Classical music lover (not) Rock Maninoff (Aug. 14)


When I ‘first started’ to celebrate anniversaries

                                                        by Robert LaFrance
 

            Some things seem so obvious once you know them; for all of my six and a half decades I thought people celebrated (or dreaded) their birthdays every year, but it turns out I have been wrong.

            I won’t embarrass him by mentioning his name, but a few months ago I heard Dr. Martin MacCauley telling someone that, contrary to what they had been thinking, they were not celebrating their birthday, but the ANNIVERSARY of their birthday. We only have one birthday, right? After that the only thing we can ‘celebrate’ is the anniversary of that joyous event.

            So as one who makes much of accuracy in speech, I and others who care about such things as that accuracy must now change the name of our annual ‘celebration’.

            I have another suggestion for those who do care about accuracy in speech. When you say, out loud, that you ‘first started’ something, perhaps you could ask yourself: “How many times did I start?”

                                                                        *****************************

            My friend Flug was pleased to have a visitor last week. His nephew Rock Maninoff, who is a professional baseball player in Alabama, was waiting out a hamstring injury and decided to visit his uncle (and my old friend) Flug. They had a grand time while Rock was here in the Scotch Colony, but they were busy.

            Here’s why: Rock made the mistake of telling someone on a committee that he had time to spare. The committee to which I refer is the Scotch Colony 140th Anniversary Committee which is having a celebration in about nine days to mark the time 140 years ago when all those Scottish settlers arrived here looking for their destinies. They expected log houses already built for them, at least some cleared land, a Tim Horton’s maybe, but you know the old story – they found trees, rocks, and hills.

            Back to the point. All the while Rock Maninoff was here with his MP3 player ear buds glued to the side of his head, he was forced - by those dragons on that committee - to work. Oops! I forgot my wife is one of those dragons…er…I mean…PUT DOWN THAT ROLLING PIN!

            Rock may have headed back to Alabama a little early because he has never been in favour of work, you know, the kind of thing where you get up in the morning and go to. He would play guitar from supper time until 4:00 am and then the next afternoon complain because those dear ladies asked him to move some chairs in Burns Hall. And then move them again because they didn’t fit the ‘ambience’. And then once more back where they were because the ambience had apparently shifted in the meantime.

            The bottom line, as they say – and I have actually heard them say it – is that Rock Maninoff has headed back to Alabama -  and headed back a wiser man. I should say a Wiser’s man, because while he was here he certainly went through a lot of his own particular lemonade.

                                                                        ******************************

            In the remaining portion of my column (you might say ‘the remains’) I will write down a few observations I’ve made in the past month or so.

            The first is, of course, about the weather, or rather we humans’ reaction to the weather. During that wicked hot spell, while everyone with a brain was seeking out an air conditioner and complaining about the heat, Flug was being a Stoic which can be defined as ‘toughing it out’. I asked him why he wasn’t complaining like the rest of us. “Listen,” he began, which was  redundant since I was standing there looking him in the eye. “Listen, remember how I complained so much when it seemed to be raining every day and I couldn’t go fishing? I couldn’t do anything but watch TV. I’m afraid if I complain the sun will stop shining and we’ll get the rain back.”

            “Flug, I hate to say this, but ‘cum hoc propter ergo hoc’ ain’t true.” He looked baffled for some reason. “Those of us blessed with a classical education,” I continued, “know that the phrase I used is Latin and means ‘B follows A, therefore A caused B’. It ain’t true. So you go ahead and complain about the hot weather; it won’t make a difference.”

            And so he did, breaking forth with what in bad novels they call ‘a stream of invective’. I went home to finish my Georges Simenon book, and before I’d finished a page it was raining. It’s still raining. Once in a while I look over at Flug’s house. He continues to stand by the window and stare over at my house as if he were having evil thoughts.
                                          -end-

No comments: