Friday 6 September 2013

A disgusting sandwich - Sept. 4/13 column


A new name for a new truck
 

                                                            by Robert LaFrance

 

            My friend Flug, who is adept at coining new words, came up with another one yesterday afternoon. When I arrived there (not even panting) from my twice-daily 15-km run, he was about to ‘chow down’ on a huge sausage type bun. A can of what was obviously ice-cold lemonade sat at his elbow in case of emergency.

            “Whatcha got there, Flug?” I said, because I wanted to know what he had there.

            “It’s a bunana,” he said, and showed me the rather disgusting innards of that sandwich. “A banana in a bun. I was thinking this morning that a sandwich made from bananas would be just the thing. I was thinking of putting some ketchup on it too, and maybe some feta cheese.”

            Supressing my gag reflex, I said: “Gotta keep jogging.” It is all right to coin new words (called neologisms) and it is all right to come up with new recipes for dishes that include sandwiches, but really.

I called the police.
   
                                            *****************************

            Speaking of new words – and when am I not? – this morning I was reading an autobiography of Max Ferguson, who hosted a humorous radio show for decades, and I came across this rather interesting new word as well as a new phrase. I am sure that neither had previously been heard on the strait-laced CBC.

            Max often played a character named Rawhide, who had been known to make fun of the Queen, the prime minister of the day (Lester Pearson, John Diefenbaker, Pierre Trudeau et al), but on this day Rawhide was trying to be serious. Reading the script, he was listing all the people who had worked on the show.

            He ended: “…and thank you to our national radio network, The Canadian Broadcorping Castration!”

            I’m sure that all over Canada jaws were dropping and making big noises as they hit the floors, whether the floors be hardwood, concrete, or carpet.

            Max Ferguson, whom I remember listening to when I was in my twenties, did wonderful impressions. He and his radio pal Allan McPhee could imitate just about anyone. One day he was using the voice of a cabinet minister (can’t remember which one) who had gotten into trouble for consorting with a hooker, and we ain’t talking about fishing here.

            That cabinet minister called up CBC to complain that Ferguson had gotten it all wrong. He hadn’t met the young lady in a hotel room, it was in the park, behind some azaleas. Max apologized the next day. He promised to do better research in the future, but he did it in the voice of Queen Elizabeth.

                                             *********************************

            Still on the subject of new words, I feel that some words we use every week need to be replaced by something that makes sense. I think we all use – at least occasionally – the word ‘half-ton’ or ‘pickup’ when referring to trucks that are smaller than tractor-trailers, but let’s look at that.

            I used to own a half-ton, a 1974 GMC that I bought from Jim Dixon who gave me an official 30-30 warranty (30 minutes or 30 miles) on it. That was a real half-ton, so called because it would hold a half ton of gravel, wood, etc. Now look around at the trucks that guys (almost always guys) drive today. Holy moly!

            Some of those trucks are only slightly less heavy duty than the tractor-trailers we see zooming down the TCM – and quite often through Perth, God help the unlucky pedestrian who steps out in front of one of those! The somewhat smaller trucks I’m talking about are sure not half-tons, and that’s what I am talking about. Who has an idea on a new name for these behemoths?

            Someone suggested Baby Macks, referring to the Mack Trucks going up and down the highway and carrying freight to who knows where, but I imagine the Mack Truck people would frown at that. I don’t like 300-pound executives frowning at me. So I guess we’ll have to keep looking for a new, more appropriate name. Wait! Flug, who has been sipping on lemonade while watching roller derby on my TV, is gesturing that he wants to weigh in on this matter.

            “Bob, why can’t we just continue to call them half-tons? You remember the reason they were named that originally was because they would hold half a ton of stuff. Well, guess what? Those huge trucks they have today won’t even hold that much because the box is so short. Besides, the ‘guys’ won’t haul anything because it might scratch the paint. Or we could call them ‘quarter-tons’.”

            “Or hundredweights,” I suggested, as we opened another cold lemonade. One has to be neighbourly.
                                                 -end-

No comments: